It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why are Build Forge jobs showing up in the build queue for multiple Build Definitions in RTC

Scott Crouch (48532326) | asked Feb 12 '13, 10:29 a.m.
edited Feb 12 '13, 10:34 a.m.
 Build Forge 7.1.3.4 and RTC 4.0.1. 

We're seeing an issue when a build starts in one build definition in RTC, the same Build Forge job shows in the Build Queue in a different Build Definition in RTC. Both Build Definitions are using the same Build Project in Build Forge. I believe this is a recent new behavior, so I'm guessing we messed up something, but I'm not sure where to start looking for the problem. 

Edit: The build that shows in the 2nd Build queue shows as Requested by "ADMIN" (as opposed to the actual requestor that shows correctly in the 1st build queue) and on the label shows "(started in Build Forge)".

2 answers

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Feb 12 '13, 11:01 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 This is actually expected behavior.  The events that are generated by Build Forge are by project UUID, so the RTC build definitions pick up any event that has its associated project UUID.  If you have multiple build definitions with the same project UUID, you will see updates in all build definitions that have that associated project UUID.  However since only the original request will have access the information about the RTC build label and the original RTC requestor that is why the information is different between the two queues.

~Spencer

Comments
Scott Crouch commented Feb 12 '13, 11:34 a.m.

I'm confused though, because I'm not able to reproduce this consistently. I have one set of build definitions pointing to the same build forge project where the behavior is not as you described above (and how we'd expect it to work). Is there any way to control whether or not this happens without having unique build projects for every build definition? 

permanent link
Scott Crouch (48532326) | answered Feb 12 '13, 2:57 p.m.
 After doing more research into this, we were able to determine it only occurs when the builds are done on different build engines. This would occur because we have multiple build engines pointing to the same build forge instance for redundancy (as described in https://jazz.net/library/article/607/). When there is only 1 build engine (and the same build engine) in play this behavior does not occur. This seems like a bug to me because with 1 build engine it works as I would expect. But maybe I'm not understanding how this is supposed to work?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.