It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can't Delete Custom Artifact Types in Rational Requirements Composer

Marina Hartley (1144) | asked Feb 05 '13, 10:37 a.m.

I have an issue with deleting custom Attributes and Artifact Types in RRC.  When I set the project up, I created a custom attribute called "Capability".  The team decided that they wanted a different format for that attribute (enum vs. string), so I deleted the one I created and created it with the new type.  The old version of the attribute remained visible, but not accessible.  If I tried to use it, my computer would just keep trying to load it and eventually time out.

I figured it didn't hurt anything since it was a back end sort of error and left it.  Now, however, we are having the same problem with the Artifact Types.  When we turned the project over to the team, one of the members was given project admin rights to create new Artifact Types.  They did the same thing I had done and deleted old types and created new ones.  THe old deleted ones are still in the list when they go to create a new Artifact Type so they are presented with a drop down that has multiple SRS, SSS, etc and they have to hope they are lucky and pick the right one. 

Now I have to clean it up and I am concerned about two things.

1. Why can't I completely delete a custom attribute if there are no records with that data type in them? (which is the situation with the "capability" attribute since I deleted that prior to migrating or creating any records.)

2. Would there be any way to determine if an individual requirement is assigned to an artifact type that is "deleted"?  In other words, if they created the requirement as an SRS (version 1) and then deleted SRS (version 1) and created an artifact type (version 2) - is there a way to tell in the requirement?

Sorry it is so confusing.  Right now I only see the option of creating a brand new project area and starting from scratch, but that affects the entire program (meaning RTC and RQM which have links to RRC)  and I'm trying to avoid that.

One answer

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Feb 05 '13, 12:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
To delete artifact types

1. Create a view that shows all artifacts using that old type, using a filter for only that artifact type, and ensure that no folders are selected.
2. Then either delete the artifacts using this old type or re-assign them to a new type, in V4.0.1 this can be done from the grid view for all the artifacts shown. In previous versions each artifact will need to be opened one by one and the change made in the attribute section of the editor.

Once there are no artifacts in the repository you can then deleted the artifact type in the project properties.

If there were unique attributes for those old types you might want to delete those as well as any unique data types.

So the delete order is : Artifacts, Artifact Types, Attributes, Lists, Data type

Comments
Marina Hartley commented Feb 05 '13, 2:39 p.m.

It won't allow me to filter by the "deleted" artifact types.  It just times out if I try to filter with one of the types selected. 

Also, the attribute that I created that I can't get rid of is not used in any records because it was deleted well before I put any records into RRC.  It shows as an option, but if I try to put it in any type of Artifact I get the time out again.

Robin Bater commented Feb 05 '13, 2:57 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Which version of RRC are you running?

Also have you been in contact with Tech Support? Tech Support might have some tools that can be run to validate the data and index, as it sounds like there is a mismatch.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.