It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Best practice to plan a workshop?

Martin Erzberger (131199) | asked Nov 11 '08, 9:22 a.m.
Hello

Say I have an upcoming 1/2 day workshop, which needs 12 out of the 15 person team to participate. How do I best record this with RTC?
So far, I see these possibilities:
* Ignore: Then for 12 people the available time in the current iteration is 4 hours too high.
* Add 12 work items, one for each participant. While the time problem is solved, it seems like too much admin work both for the planner, and for the individual participants (they have to "plan" it on the correct day, remember to "start working" on it at the right time, and remember to "resolve" it when the workshop is over).
* Modify the "scheduled absences" for all the participants: Since I can only plan in day increments, the time is now 4 hours too short, so this doesn't really work either.

What method is used in your daily work, and seems to work? Or did I overlook something in RTC?

Thanks! Martin

3 answers

permanent link
    Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Nov 11 '08, 10:36 a.m.
    FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
    Say I have an upcoming 1/2 day workshop, which needs 12 out of the 15 person team to participate. How do I best record this with RTC?
    * Ignore: Then for 12 people the available time in the current iteration is 4 hours too high.
    * Add 12 work items, one for each participant. While the time problem is solved, it seems like too much admin work both for the planner, and for the individual participants (they have to "plan" it on the correct day, remember to "start working" on it at the right time, and remember to "resolve" it when the workshop is over).
    * Modify the "scheduled absences" for all the participants: Since I can only plan in day increments, the time is now 4 hours too short, so this doesn't really work either.

What method is used in your daily work, and seems to work? Or did I overlook something in RTC?

I think the best answer (not seemingly available at this time) would be to have everyone involved adjust their scheduled absences for a half-day. Probably worth submitting a Work Item to fix that.

Beyond that I think I'd just ignore it and make a point of leaving a tad more slack during the planning meeting to accommodate. The other Work Items are just estimated anyway and it's only 4 hours across 2 or more weeks (I'm guessing). Unless this happens often or planning available time exactly to the hour is crucial to your team's success, I can't imagine it is worth the admin overhead that you point out.

permanent link
    Dirk Baeumer (4811) | answered Nov 11 '08, 10:48 a.m.
    JAZZ DEVELOPER
    Hi Martin,

to get a correct result the only option you have is (b). For 2.0
    we plan to improve the way how you can schedule those items (you will be
    able plan them for a fixed start date). However we currently do not have
    plans to support meeting items in 2.0 which would allow you to plan the
    meeting more efficiently. I opened "64189: Provide support to plan a
    meeting for a team" to add this behavior.

Regards Dirk
    Agile Planning Component.

merzberger1 wrote:
    Hello

Say I have an upcoming 1/2 day workshop, which needs 12 out of the 15
    person team to participate. How do I best record this with RTC?
    * Ignore: Then for 12 people the available time in the current
    iteration is 4 hours too high.
    * Add 12 work items, one for each participant. While the time problem
    is solved, it seems like too much admin work both for the planner,
    and for the individual participants (they have to "plan" it
    on the correct day, remember to "start working" on it at the
    right time, and remember to "resolve" it when the workshop
    is over).
    * Modify the "scheduled absences" for all the participants:
    Since I can only plan in day increments, the time is now 4 hours too
    short, so this doesn't really work either.

What method is used in your daily work, and seems to work? Or did I
    overlook something in RTC?

Thanks! Martin

permanent link
    Martin Erzberger (131199) | answered Nov 12 '08, 2:20 a.m.
    Thanks for the answers! I have put a comment directly into the work item.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.