It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to publish a file (document or binary) from RTC into RAM?

Sean Burke (3789137237) | asked Jan 22 '13, 5:51 p.m.
edited Jan 23 '13, 7:43 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Trying to get my head around some things in RTC.  A couple of questions.

Is there a way to publish a file (document or binary) from RTC into RAM.  The way we see this is that RTC is the tool used for project artifact management during the development phase.  Once the artifact is  released we feel it should be moved into RAM where it is reusable and searchable.  Is there a integration that can make this happen or do you have to take it out of RTC and put it into RAM?

As I understand it repository workspaces are located on the server.  So you have a the same repository workspace loaded in two eclipse workspaces.  You unload it in the first eclipse workspace.  You would think that it would unload in the second workspace but it does not.  Not an important question but just trying to understand the concept a little better

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 23 '13, 8:11 a.m. | edited Jan 23 '13, 8:14 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note that the title of your question should not be "A question about X".   It should be an actual question, suitable for searching by someone asking a similar question.  In addition, you should not bundle two unrelated questions into a single question ... create two separate questions with meaningful titles.   Think of this as an FAQ.  An FAQ entry of the form "A question" would be of no value.   In this case, an appropriate title for your two questions would be:
How do I publish a file from RTC into RAM?
and
Why doesn't unloading a workspace unload it from all sandboxes it is loaded into?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jan 23 '13, 7:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I've updated the question title.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Gili Mendel (1.8k56) | answered Jan 23 '13, 10:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Sean,

As Francois noted above, you can install the RAM eclipse plugins on top of your RTC client.  The RAM server is also an update site for these plugins (from your browser on RAM, Help->Extension  and look for update site URL).

You use RTC to develop your artifacts.  When you get to the state where you want to publish these (most often, what you publish may have a different format from your development workspace looks like), you can do so with a build process, or directly from the IDE with the RAM extension.  This extension will let you create an Asset (a package if you will), by selecting the artifacts that you want published, provide information about it etc.   When you publish the asset (from your workspace), the RAM extension will create an RTC baseline, and attache that (baseline) information to the published asset.
If you try to import that asset to your workspace, this extension will allow you to (optionally) connect to that baseline.

If you are using a build to create your package, you typically link the asset to the build job using RAM's api, ... like Ant, Java, Rest ... or native protocols like Maven (coming up in 7.5.1.2 .. check M2 on the download page).

Regarding the the RTC workspaces ... I personally think of them as my "worspaces" cloud ... so that I can work on any of them from anywhere, at anytime ... where as my local workspace as my "sandbox" area.

Sean Burke selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Francois-xavier Panaget (58914) | answered Jan 23 '13, 6:34 a.m.
Hi Sean,

There a RTC integration which should allow you to add projects or individual files as artifacts to assets just like you would for any projects or files that you submit to the Rational Asset Manager.

Have you looked at the following RAM infocenter page  Integrating with Rational Team Concert?
You need to use the RAM eclipse client that you can install with the RTC client.
(check out the RAM system requirements for version compatibility).

Regarding the loading and unloading of the repository workspace, are talking about RTC repository workspace?
From what I understand the eclipse workspaces are independant of each other so what you do in one would not affect the other one.
May be you can checkout the RTC Loading or unloading repository workspaces for further information.

François

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.