It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to configure approval tracking process

Nilesh Patil (1733650) | asked Jan 15 '13, 5:24 a.m.
edited Jan 15 '13, 5:27 a.m.
I want to add approval tracking process. I want to user to restrict to change the state of workitem unless and until it is approved by project Manager.How can I achieve this. If anybody tell how to configure this? When WI is created  it will be in new status after that project manager will approve this. Once it apporved by project manager,other can change the state.

2 answers

permanent link
Lauren Hayward Schaefer (3.3k11727) | answered Jan 15 '13, 6:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Nilesh,
https://jazz.net/library/article/1003/#workflows explains how to configure workflows with approval trackings.

Comments
Nilesh Patil commented Jan 24 '13, 11:24 p.m.

Thanks for the response . I have configured approval tracking process. I want to add different states for the approval how can I do this. E.g I want to add approval for two different states If the state is 'A',  after approval state should be 'B' , if the state is 'C' after approval I want to redirect it to State 'D'. Is it possible to do?. I have tried to add different states for approval tracking process but I could not. Can anybody help me to achieve this.

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Jan 25 '13, 6:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Nilesh,
On the page I linked to above, there is an Approval Trackings section that explains how you can customize specific workflow actions to be taken after an approval.

Nate Decker commented Oct 21 '14, 9:30 a.m.

Lauren, I am having the same issue that Nilesh is having. I think your response suggests you may not be understanding the issue. Let me take a stab at it.

The approval trackings configurations allow you to automatically perform state transitions. However, you can only specify one action per approval action. As an example, consider that I have an approval of type "Verification" and I want to specify an automatic state transition when that Approval is Rejected. I can't say that when the Work Item is in state X, the rejected approval will transition it into state Y, but if the Work Item is already in State Y, then the Work Item will be transitioned to state Z instead. It seems to be a one-to-one mapping.

I believe Nilesh (and myself) are interested in finding a mapping that is context-dependent upon the work item's current state.

I'm sure this could be achieved with a server-side extension, but that seems like overkill.

sam detweiler commented Oct 21 '14, 10:11 a.m. | edited Oct 21 '14, 10:48 a.m.

you have to add a separate approval at each state transition position.  you cannot have ONE approval that works across multiple state changes..

approval is a singular action..
given I am here, you can approve or reject my results.
if approved then I move to X else I move to Y.
at that point, this approval record is completed.
and you need a NEW approval record if you want to use approval to control
what happens from state X to the next state (approve or reject)..

to help a prior customer, I created a highly configurable approval injector,
that added them on the fly as each state occurred..
then the 'required' approval advisor makes sure the approval is handled, and the state transition config reduces and controls the users workload by making controlled state changes

the biggest gap in this mechanism is depending on someone to create the approval records at each workflow state for each workitem that is required by the business process.   the injector makes all that automated to match the business process.

(injector built by extending the sample in Ralph's blog)

Lauren Hayward Schaefer commented Oct 21 '14, 10:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks for the detailed response, Sam!  Nate - does that answer your question?

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Jan 25 '13, 9:48 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Nilesh,

Glad to see that you are making progress.  If you want some more advanced process enablement techniques, please go and perform the Process Enactment Workshop.  It will show you all kinds of great ways to manipulate and configure the tools to support your specific process needs.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.