It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Create a backup snapshot associated to a workspace or just migrate snapshots?

Simon Fox (3556) | asked Jan 11 '13, 8:54 a.m.
edited Jan 11 '13, 10:22 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645)
I have a stream for each release of my project.  I want to move the released versions onto a single stream with snapshots for the releases.  The current streams already have snapshots on them.

If I delete a release stream and then, when prompted, select the option to just delete the stream (rather than create a backup snapshot associated to a workspace) I will be warned that the stream contains snapshots and asked to select another stream to take ownership of them.  Is there any reason I shouldn't just delete each of the release streams (without creating a backup snapshot associated to a workspace) but migrating the snapshots to my new stream instead?  Are there any disadvantages to this approach?

Thanks,

Simon.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jan 11 '13, 3:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If the snapshots that are created have the same content (ie. preserves your release), either way would get you a snapshot in your single stream that represents that release. There is no difference in the way the snapshots are created when it prompts to do a backup or moving an existing snapshot of your release to the single stream. Unless changes were delivered since the snapshots in that stream were created, both the snapshot before the delete and during the delete would have the same configuration saved just created at different times.

However, the prompt about moving your snapshots will move ALL your snapshots that the deleting stream owns. So if there are other snapshots you care about (eg. milestone releases, pre-merge, etc.), you'll probably want to say yes to that question to move them over.
Simon Fox selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Simon Fox commented Jan 14 '13, 6:03 a.m.

Many thanks Tim.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.