It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Build Forge: How do I run two similar projects using same library (unique system name passed to the library) at the same time without a "semaphore" lock?

Ralph Roach (23145) | asked Dec 03 '12, 3:07 p.m.

My intention is to reuse a generic Library to be used by several similar projects where each project is a unique test system name.   Each project pass a unique system name via variable to the library.   The only thing common in this library is the input file that has to be read to obtain additional unique system information from a text file.  All outputs are unique since they are tagged with the unique system name.

Do Build Forge place semaphore lock on input file being read in?  I think it would be odd to do this. 

The problem I am having is that I have two two identical jobs which are SFTTEST and COMTEST.  The variable in which the system name (SFTTEST or COMTEST) is passed to the library is TPF_SYS_NAME.

The TPF_SYS_NAME is used by the library to read the input system configuration text file to find the matching entry to obtain additional info about the system such as unique dataset name, unique volser, etc.

For some reason, when submitting both projects at the same time, one get hung while waiting on other to finish executing the steps.  I would think that since it pass the unique name value to the library, both projects should be able to execute at the same time????   Is there some kind of natural semaphore lock on this?  Am I missing something here?

Thank you very much

--Ralph

Comments
Spencer Murata commented Dec 04 '12, 8:17 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

To clarify, does a configuration file exist for each project, or does one config file have all the data for all the projects?  While the file is being read by the OS, then it would have a lock, but there would be no BF lock on the file.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Roach (23145) | answered Dec 12 '12, 11:24 a.m.

Spencer,

I have found my answer through testings.   To answer your question, the configuration file is a single file shared by multiple projects that contains all the data for all the projects.

I have found that if I set up a BF project to call 2 projects to run simultaneously, that's when it put the BF lock on one of the called project until the other called project is done.

However, if I manually executed the two BF projects then there is no BF lock.  It would be better to put them on Schedule instead of using a BF project to perform the calls.

Thanks for responding.

--Ralph

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.