It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change defect to "In progress" on first changeset delivery

G Moehler (11244) | asked Nov 30 '12, 11:38 a.m.
I want to change the state of a defect automatically to "In progress" as soon as the first changeset has been delivered. Is that possible?

Comments
Vivek Iyer commented Dec 11 '12, 1:03 p.m.

Our developers have asked for this same functionality as well.

Could this be done via a custom follow-up action tied to, say, the "Save Change Set Links and Comments" operation? The operation participant could iterate through all associated work items for a change set, find ones that are in "New" and switch them to "In progress".

sam detweiler commented Dec 11 '12, 2:30 p.m.

it would have to be done via a custom followup as the system doesn't provide this function out of the box

G Moehler commented Dec 12 '12, 5:44 a.m.

can such a follow-up action be definedĀ  in the process configuration, or do i need to code it in a plugin?

sam detweiler commented Dec 12 '12, 8:34 a.m.

you will have to code a plugin.

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Nov 30 '12, 12:32 p.m.
edited Nov 30 '12, 12:41 p.m.
there is no builtin function to do this..

separately.. wasn't it 'in progress' long before the changeset appeared? ie, wasn't someone working on it? (discovery and code creation and unit testing).

our workflow requires the workitem move to Implemented state when the changeset is delivered. (after review, after in progress...)

and the changset should not be delivered (to the shared stream) til AFTER the review is completed successfully.

Comments
G Moehler commented Dec 03 '12, 3:28 a.m.

sure - in order to check people are already working on it - but as a matter of fact most developers do not change the defect's state until they actually finish the implementation, which is when they set the defect to "relsolved".
So my thinking was that there could (should?) be a way to automate at least the change to the "In progress" state when a changeset is delivered - because at least at this point in time the system actually knows that there is work being done.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.