It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC Team Build on a Release Stream

David Beange (111359101) | asked Nov 29 '12, 10:15 a.m.
In an RTC V3.0.1.4 environment I already have Continuous Integration using RTC Build Engine running on the Projects Main Stream.

They now wish to start a new stream for the next Release load it with snapshot code from the Main Stream and the conmtinue in parrallel but also having CI happening  in the new Release stream in addition to the Main Stream.

How can I make this happen? Do i need to have the Release Stream owned by a new release team and my release build engine only process builds for that team or how can this be achieved while continuing to have CI builds on the Main stream.

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Nov 29 '12, 10:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 29 '12, 10:23 a.m.
My suggestion would be to

• Create the new stream e.g. from a snapshot on the old one.
  • Change the stream owner if there is really a new team for the new release (why wouldn't the old team continue to work on this?).
  • Then create a new build definition based on the existing one, change the team the build definition belongs to the new team f there is really one needed.
  • Replace the repository workspace used by the build definition by a new one  that flows to the new stream.

The old build won't be affected at all. You have now two streams that can separately developed and built.

David Beange selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
David Beange commented Dec 03 '12, 9:59 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. Would you recommend having separate Build Engines for this? I know that a build engine can support more than 1 build definition but if both streams had builds requested at same time with the same build engine would this cause some interference. They would be running on the same Build Machine but have separate build Workspaces and Load Directories.

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 03 '12, 6:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You can have several build definitions run by just one build engine. They can load to different locations so there is no overlap.
If you have more hardware you can throw in more build engines.

Eventually you will run out of hardware if you want to do too many parallel builds. And it will drain on the server as well. go for reasonably few build engine that support what you want. I think there is no real time without penalty, so how much real time does it need to be?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.