It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Usage of plug-ins developed on Higher version to lower version

Dnyanesh Markad (291825) | asked Oct 31 '12, 2:45 a.m.
I have developed some plug-ins on RTC 4.0, can I use them on RTC 2.0

If yes, please suggest me how?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 31 '12, 3:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You would normally follow this approach https://jazz.net/forum/questions/92466/can-we-integrate-rtc-301-api-with-rtc-40-api-so-that-we-can-develope-single-plugin-for-both and develop for 2 and then import them in 4.x

You can try the same approach the other way around. However, your dependencies in the plug ins will have minimal version numbers, so you will get errors. You can try to remove the version numbers or replace the dependencies using the 2.x SDK. If you are using API that is not available in 2.x, you will have no choice but to replace the API by API available in 2.x.

Dnyanesh Markad selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dnyanesh Markad commented Nov 02 '12, 9:39 a.m.

Hello Ralph,

Thanks for help. I am reffering your approach and explaining you steps in next 2 comments. Suggest me If I am on right way or not if yes I am having an error please try to help me to resolve that out. 
1. I have created project area e.g Sample_Area 
2. I have component in it say project_comp
3. I have loaded that component into repository workspace without creating any project
4. After that I have created simple plug-in project in above component that is project_comp....... please see next comment

5. After that I have check-in-all and deliver the contents.
6. Now the plug-in project is on repository
7. Next I have created plug-in feature project on local workspace adding above created plug-in it. 
8. Next I have created the update site project in same location with above created feature project in site project.
9. Now when I try to build site I am getting an error.
Because of character constraint error is given in next comment

"C:\Workspace\Workspace.metadata.plugins\org.eclipse.pde.core\temp\org.eclipse.pde.container.feature\assemble.org.eclipse.pde.container.feature.p2.xml:39: The reference to entity "D_Hello_Plug-in" must end with the ';' delimiter.

The reference to entity "D_Hello_Plug-in" must end with the ';' delimiter.
"

Dnyanesh Markad commented Nov 02 '12, 9:41 a.m.

project area is created on RTC 4.0 server

And for developing plug-in I am using RTC 3.0.1 Client

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 02 '12, 10:15 a.m.

I just,

1. Connected with a 3.0.1 Eclipse workspace set up with the 3.0.1 SDK to a 4.0. Server
  2. Shared my fully compilable, error free Extensions from the 3.0.1 Extension workshop to a 3.0.1 Dev repo workspace
  3. Created a Steam ExtDev and flowed the changes there
  4. Connected with a 4.0 Eclipse workspace setup for the 4.0 SDK 
  5. Created a repo workspace 4.0 dev from the ExtDev Stream
  6. Loaded the workspace

No Compiler errors whatsoever. Not sure what trouble your P2 install does. I have a plain vanilla RTC client that I just unzipped for 4.x and 3.0.1. i have not testing deploying and no time to, but I would not expect issues. I would however set both workspaces to UTF8 as described in the Extension Workshop.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 02 '12, 10:16 a.m.

And I get a different error when building the update site.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 02 '12, 10:21 a.m.

Which is related to the fact that my feature contained a dependency to another feature that should not have been there in the first place. I removed that and now it builds just fine.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 02 '12, 10:25 a.m.

I think I forgot to mention I did NOT share the projects that are related to the 3.x or the 4.x SDK. I only shared the extensions that I had created.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 02 '12, 10:32 a.m.

The bove imples that the projects in Eclipse/RTC were created with RTC 3.x. the project area is 4.x.

The problems you see seem to be related with the Eclipse workspace. Not sure what the issue could be, since m approach worked for me.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 02 '12, 10:35 a.m.

And looking at the original question, you can not run an RTC 2.x against a 4.0 server. You can do what I did with 3.x and 4.x but not with 2.x since the server would complain. If you do want to bring your extensions over, you should export them and then import them into a workspace set up with 4.x SDK.

Dnyanesh Markad commented Nov 06 '12, 4:02 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I am developing plug-ins using RTC 3.0.1 and RTC 4.0

Now build is successful for 3.0.1.

Sorry to say but I dint get it what you want to say from ur comment "I think I forgot to mention I did NOT share the projects that are related to the 3.x or the 4.x SDK. I only shared the extensions that I had created. "

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 06 '12, 4:11 a.m. | edited Nov 06 '12, 4:58 a.m.

What I tried to say is that I did not share the license files and other plug ins imported during setup of the Eclipse workspace for each version of the SDK. The setup process is different and different plug ins are imported. You need to make sure not to mix them up if using the same stream to share the projects you develop.

Dnyanesh Markad commented Nov 06 '12, 4:55 a.m.

Thanks Ralph...

showing 5 of 13 show 8 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.