It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Migrate Test Plans, Test Cases from one RQM Server to another Server

Anthony Paul (7021821) | asked Oct 30 '12, 6:55 p.m.
closed Nov 17 '16, 2:49 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
 Hi,

Has anyone been able to migrate all the Test Cases, Plans, Test Case Results etc from one Project in a RQM Server to a completely different server.

We are in the position where we may have to perform such migration and was wondering if anyone has much success at this.

I did briefly look at this utility (https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMCopyUtility) but it seems that it performs the migration from one server to another directly. The issue we have is that our new server will be hosted in a completely different environment that can't be accessed by the current RQM hosted environment.

We are on RQM 4.0 and it is hosted on a WebSphere server with DB2 providing the database. This is our current setup and the new setup will be the same. 

We can't migrate the whole DB2 database over as it has a lot of data we don't want in our new RQM server.

So we only want to be able to migrate the Test Artefacts from one RQM Project to this new RQM Server.

Any help on this would be most helpful

Thanks

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by rschoon Nov 17 '16, 2:49 a.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Pramod Chandoria (2.1k11220) | answered Oct 31 '12, 4:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The copy utility is the solution to copy artifacts from one server to another. Note that it is not clonnng of the artifact so things like web Id (integer id) of the artifact will not remain same. The Copy tool should have access to both source and target server. Also copy is supported between same version of RQM version.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

5 other answers

permanent link
Rajat Singh (59833545) | answered Oct 31 '12, 5:06 a.m.
As this is RQM 4.0, what about exporting the test artifacts into excel and then importing it back to another server?

Best Regards
Rajat

Comments
Pramod Chandoria commented Nov 02 '12, 4:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Exporting csv from RQM has got limitations and it is not useful for import/export

permanent link
Ara Masrof (3.2k15) | answered Oct 31 '12, 9:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 As noted by Rajat, in 4.0.x there are artifacts that can be exported to a .csv file

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-quality-manager/releases/4.0?p=news  (See the ‘CSV export section).

You could potentially use the resulting .csv file in conjunction with the RQM Excel Importer tool

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter

You would however need to create a config file from scratch to perform the import

permanent link
Anthony Paul (7021821) | answered Nov 01 '12, 8:27 a.m.
Thanks for the responses. I think the copy utility is the way forward. Will have to open the firewall so we can perform the migration between the two servers. 

Has anyone used it. Anything I should need to know about.

As for the export to csv function, unfortunately that won't do as it doesn't export all the information such as the Pre-Requisites section. Also if we export it as csv i don't think we can import it in to the new server with all the Test Plans, linked to the Test cases and scripts.

permanent link
Rama SCM (4111320) | answered Jul 07 '15, 1:39 p.m.
Hi Anthony,

Were you able to achieve this using copy utility? I am in similar situation and wanted to check how it worked for you? I see you tried this long time ago, but if you can shed some light on this would be helpful.

Thanks!
Rama

permanent link
Ankit Kumar (114) | answered Nov 17 '16, 2:42 a.m.
Hi Anthony, I am also in same situation, Did you able to achieve this using RQM Utility? If yes, please shed some light on this