It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can We integrate RTC 3.0.1 API with RTC 4.0 API so that we can develope single plugin for both?

Kaushik Bhalerao (611810) | asked Oct 30 '12, 4:15 a.m.
edited Oct 30 '12, 5:35 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
RTC 3.0.1 and rtc 4.0 are having different APIs
For this we need to develop separate plugin for each of them
which rises difficulty in Migrating running project.
(this information is as per my knowledge, Please feel free to correct. ) 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 30 '12, 5:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I tried to answer your other recent question wit the same context already.

As far as I can tell the API did not drastically change at all. What changes is the versions of the plugins etc. This is to be expected, because the product is still under development and will, hopefully, be for a very long time.

As a side note, using the SDK is unsupported, as is, the API is to be expected to change over time and developing extensions and automation is at your own risk. The only API I think is supported is the Plain Java Client libraries and even that does not state it will not change over time.

If you want to develop extensions for several versions and try to have as much reuse as possible I would suggest to do the following:

1. Setup a development repository on RTC, the latest version e.g. 4.x to share the sources.
  2. Setup a development client RTC Eclipse 3.x with the 3.x SDK
  3. Setup a development client RTC Eclipse 4.x with the 4.x SDK
  4. Connect both against the RTC server
  5. Share the 3.x Extension source with a stream in the development repository
  6. Load the source to the 4.x development client
  7. Make sure NOT to version the artifacts generated in the update site project
  8. Build your extensions in the development client version that equals the server version you want to deploy to.

As long as you use common API that is available in 3.x and 4.x you should be able to develop for both versions. Importing my projects from 3.x to 4.x was really easy and I can't remember I had to change anything in the API usage. Look for deprecated API's and try to find a common not deprecated API in 3.x and 4.x.

Kaushik Bhalerao selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 30 '12, 5:31 a.m.

You can run 3.x adn 4.x against the same 4.x server since the N-1 compatibility.

Kaushik Bhalerao commented Oct 30 '12, 7:09 a.m.

Thanks Ralph !

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 30 '12, 7:26 a.m. | edited Oct 30 '12, 7:27 a.m.

One last thought, you can provide a minimal version number in the plugin dependencies. You might want to avoid to put a high version number in there. Either don't qualify or use the 3.x version numbers as minimal.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.