It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to update existing document?

Upendra Acharya (144) | asked Oct 22 '12, 7:38 a.m.

I am using RRC 4.0 and have uploaded a word document as my design document in the form of artifact. I have created some hyperlinks within this document linking my other artifacts(requirements/use cases) to particular sections within the document.

Now my design document is evolved to next version during design review. I want to upload the new version by updating the existing design document in RRC.

I want the artifact ID for the design document to remain the same and update should not create a new artifact.

Is it possible to update the design document artifact with the latest version of word document? If yes, how should I update it? Do I need to import it again with the help of impoart wizard?

Will it keep the already created hyperlinks within the document if the previous sections(titles) are intact in new version?

Comments
Steven Witty commented Oct 23 '12, 9:21 a.m.

Although I don't expect the hyperlinks to work without recreating them, I would also love to know how it's possible to update a document by uploading a newer version. It was very simple in ReqPro but can't seem to figure it out in RRC. 

I also have lots of use case documents that were created outside of RRC, but which I've imported. They've since been updated and I need to get the new ones in to replace the older version.

One answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Dec 12 '12, 3:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you open the artifact in RRC, if you click on the Edit button, you should see a link that says "When you are done editing, click here to upload a newer version of the artifact; this will replace the existing version."
If that's what you are talking about, but you think that's too hidden, please let me know (or open an enhancement) and we can look at making that more obvious.

As far as the links in the Word document, I don't understand this: "I have created some hyperlinks within this document linking my other artifacts(requirements/use cases) to particular sections within the document."  It's not possible to link to or from specific parts of the Word document to other RRC artifacts, so I'm not sure what you mean. 

You can convert the Word document to an RRC text artifact, which would then allow you to link to and from specific sections of the artifact.  However, once you've done that, you aren't able to upload and convert again into the same artifact.  If that's what you're talking about, then it sounds like you're looking for some sort of offline editing/round-trip support using Word.  That would be an enhancement request. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.