It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to use multiple baselines in one instance of JazzMon?

Michael Walker (99215201157) | asked Oct 15 '12, 7:27 p.m.
We started monitoring 3 repositories in one JazzMon instance.  After day 1 I issued the Baseline command and we had 3 txt files created with baseline data for each repository individually.  I then restarted monitoring with the new Baseline directory defined in the properties file and each of these 3 txt files is under that new Baseline directory.

A couple days later I ran the Gather and Analyze commands.  When I bring up one of the generated txt files in Excel, they all use only the first Baseline file in the directory. 

For example, if I bring up a csv file from repository #2, the baseline shown is the data from repository #1. 

How can I set it so the correct baseline is used for each respository in one instance of JazzMon?

Comments
Michael Walker commented Oct 17 '12, 3:27 a.m.

bump bump bump

2 answers

permanent link
Dave Schlegel (331167) | answered Oct 19 '12, 11:36 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Baseline capability in JazzMon was designed to provide a reference snapshot from a single server with multiple applications for comparison purposes (a baseline "set"). It figures out which application baseline within the set to use based on the server URL (using the application name at the end of the server URL, i.e. ccm or jazz, matches the jazz baseline in the set, etc). A fix was made in JazzMon 1.3.0 to do a better job matching application names that aren't exact matches (i.e. having jazz2 and jazz4 match the "jazz" application within a baseline set).

That baseline set can be changed per JazzMon analysis run but there isn't yet a way of having it track multiple servers and then use different baseline sets for each one in the same analysis run. That would require a change in JazzMon to reference a collection of available baselines and figure out which "set" to use for a given server. The only workaround currently would be to use separate JazzMon sessions to track the different servers and have each use the baseline property to select the appropriate baseline.

It would be interesting to hear if other users might find this capability useful. Baselines are more valuable when they represent an earlier well-performing snapshot of the same server.

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Oct 19 '12, 12:31 p.m.
we haven't got as far as creating our own ccm level baselines yet, but I can see where this would be a problem given the current jazzmon operations.  I would support an enhancement to allow us to configure the baseline explicitly like we specify the servers monitored. (rather than have jazzmon attempt to figure it out)

Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.