It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query abt RQMExcelImporter on updation of Testcases

Brijraj Beriwal (1311417) | asked Sep 24 '12, 5:57 a.m.
retagged Sep 25 '12, 4:48 p.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
I have exported Test Case in RQM. Now when I export the  same  test  case it does  not  duplicate in RQM.
If  I  rename the test case and modify the description in excel and  export it again it updates.
On what  basis does  RQM updates  existing Test cases ?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Hao Wan (1.5k35) | answered Sep 24 '12, 8:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Brijraj,
if you are using Excel Importer and not setting the external for artifacts, the Excel Importer will assign a default external with excel name and worksheet name,
so if you want creating new artifacts instead of updating, there are 2 approaches for you
1. set the external using XLSArtifactID
refer to https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter
2. rename the excel file, and make sure to select the correct config name after renaming
Brijraj Beriwal selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Brijraj Beriwal commented Sep 25 '12, 3:11 a.m.

Hi Hao, Actually whenever I export the Requirements it creates a new requiremnts even though i want the existing set of requiremnts to be updated....I had the following commandline in config file in requiremnts when they were getting duplicated... requirement.XLSArtifactID=A but even after commenting the above line the requiremnts are getting duplicated ie creating new updated requiremnts ..... So is there any other way that i can update the existing requiremnts...??

Hao Wan commented Sep 25 '12, 3:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Brijraj, in Excel Importer RRC requirement there aren't any external id so everytime a new requirement is created. if you just want to add the testcase link you can refer to the new feature which is added in Excel Importer 4.0.1 https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMWordAndExcelWhatSNewIn40

Brijraj Beriwal commented Sep 25 '12, 3:36 a.m.

So do u mean to say that there is no way of updating existing requiremnts in RRC while exporting from Excel?

Hao Wan commented Sep 25 '12, 4:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

yes, currently, Excel Importer doesn't support this scenario.

Brijraj Beriwal commented Sep 25 '12, 4:45 a.m.

When I tried to update the existing requiremnts on rrc 2.0 they were getting updated..... Could you pls tell me Sir as to Why this feature is removed from RRC 4.0 excelimporter...? Also is there any other way of updating existing requiremnts in RRC 4.0 using programming?

Hao Wan commented Sep 25 '12, 4:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

before 4.0 requirement in RRC can be managed using RQM REST API in the similar way as other test artifact as "requirement Formally deprecated in RQM 4.0 and will no longer be supported in the next major release" refer to https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RqmApi in 4.0 you can refer to the RRC OSLC API for programming update. you can refer to the requirement OSLC for more info http://open-services.net/wiki/requirements-management/

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

6 other answers

permanent link
Vivek Agarwal (325) | answered Sep 24 '12, 8:48 a.m.
Hi Brijraj, I am assuming you are talking about importing (not exporting!!) test case in RQM. If you will import same test case; it will not create duplicate test case in RQM, in stead of that, it update same test case with no change. But if you will change test case name then Importer will create new test case into RQM.

permanent link
Danae Panayiotidou (11) | answered Nov 13 '12, 5:10 a.m.
Hi Brijraj,
I completely agree with you. We are having the exact same issue with Requirements. We've just updated to v3.0.1.3 of RQM, with fixes to some other issues that we picked up on before the upgrade. Unfortunately we did not pick up on this.
I never imagined they would remove functionality just like that!
This is making the requirements side of RQM UNUSABLE for us, since we have always used the excel import to update requirements - which also sets the suspect status for Test Cases.
We are seriously considering rolling back to version 2 and if you want to be able to use RQM with the requirement import, you'll probably have no choice but to do the same. :(((

permanent link
Hao Wan (1.5k35) | answered Nov 14 '12, 9:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
from Excel Importer 4.0 RRC requirements are created through OSLC REST API provided by RRC, and update function is not supported.
in Excel Importer 3.x, RRC requirements are created through RQM REST API, and update function still being supported.

permanent link
Danae Panayiotidou (11) | answered Nov 14 '12, 10:53 a.m.
Hao,
Thank you for your reply. Trying out and will update with whether it worked!

permanent link
Danae Panayiotidou (11) | answered Nov 22 '12, 6:00 a.m.
Hello,
Quick update for anyone else having similar issues:
v3.0.1.3 (same as the RQM we've got) of the tool can import new requirements and update those new requirements.
There is a setting on the server Advanced settings to do with Requirements, where you would have to provide a username and password of a user that has full permissions (member with all roles) to all the RRC projects.

We are now in the process of trying to get it to also update existing requirements in the same way, i.e. the ones that were migrated from v2. This is important because we have many requirements and for the projects that had recently started quite a few will be changing. Some need to change already, so my colleagues are waiting for the outcome of this before they make any updates.

I will let you know if the issue was fixed in the end -hopefully soon!

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Nov 26 '12, 10:32 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Yes, this setting is documented in footnote #2 at https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RQMExcelWordImporter#Supported_Resources.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.