It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Working with VSStudio and Eclipse on the same ressources

Martin Wassermann (13864144) | asked Sep 19 '12, 8:21 a.m.
Hi,
I have to administer a team that works with visual studio and eclipse in the same time. Some of the source files are used from both IDE’s. So I try to find a good way to use both tool together. I see several ways to handle with this situation:

1)    Use the same sandbox:
If I use the same sandbox from box IDE’s there are some strange situations. For example if I start the visual studio first, then I can’t connect to this sandbox with the eclipse client cause of the jazzlog. But If I start Eclipse first it’s almost possible (Sometimes I must start VS twice).
2)    Use two sandboxes with the same repository workspace
The Problem with two sandboxes with the same repository workspace is, that after checkin the changeset the other sandbox is out of sync, so I think this is no option
3)    Working with two sandboxes and two repository workspaces.
This solution is very circuitous. If I want to accept the changes from the other repository workspace I have to deliver the changes to the stream or defining flow targets between repository workspaces. Both options are very complicated.

So, for us it is a business need that the two tools work together, because we have some sources and generated files, which we need in both IDEs. So what are the best practices for that? And what are there knows risks and limitations for option 1?

One answer

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Sep 19 '12, 9:37 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The simplest approach is probably option 1 and, as you said, you will need to start the Eclipse client first and make sure both the Eclipse client and the VS client are from the same RTC version. I am not aware of any risks or limitations of this option although there are some know issues around opening a compare editor and logging out from the VS client but these are cosmetic issues and do not impact data integrity.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.