It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating/upgrading from RTC 3.x to 4.0 on different sites

Zouhair Ramram (34610) | asked Sep 12 '12, 5:16 a.m.
Hello,

I have a customer situation where the client has two environments:
- Production (hypothetical hostname: https://production.example.com:9443):
Application server: tomcat
Database: SQL Server
User DB: LDAP (Active Directory)
Jazz applications: JTS, RTC (Version 4.0)

-Test (hypothetical hostname: https://test.example.com:9443):

Application server: tomcat
Database: Derby
User Registry: No LDAP (Setup default)
Jazz applications: JTS, RTC (Version 3.x)
The test environment was firstly used to try out RTC and has been installed on a regular desktop-class PC, it ultimately contains some data that the client would like
to keep. The production environment contains no data. The reason why the production environment has been
set up on 4.0 is because 3.x doesn't support special characters in LDAP users. Also worthy to note, the test environment and production environment are located on different geographic sites.

I have read the Infocenter topics and articles about migration and upgrade and I'm getting the impression that the only way to move forward is an upgrade of test environment to 4.0, migrate from Derby to SQL server and go for the server rename procedure. The question is:

*Would that be the right way to go?
*Also, is there some additional documentation about how to do perform the server rename correctly? I haven't found much documentation on it, which gives me the feeling I should avoid this procedure preferrably.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Jorge Diaz (8664434) | answered Sep 12 '12, 7:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 12 '12, 10:21 a.m.
Hi Zouhair,

Note that currently (CLM 4.0), server rename can't be used with a SQL Server DB. Check the following information:

https://jazz.net/library/article/818 (look for SQL Server)
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=212115

WRT your migration/upgrade strategy the description looks fine: just consider to switch DB vendors prior to upgrade; and the scenario you describe once in 4.0 would fit into one of the supported ones for a server rename (pilot to production): http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_server_rename_sup_unsup.html

On the other hand, what you feel is missing or confusing in the server rename documentation?

Regards,

Jorge.

Zouhair Ramram selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Zouhair Ramram commented Sep 12 '12, 8:45 a.m.

Thanks a lot for letting know about SQL Server. I'll have to change the prod environment back to Derby first and move the db after the server rename procedure then. Please disregard my comment about the server rename procedure. I happened to found what I need. Keep up the good work!

Jorge Diaz commented Sep 12 '12, 8:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Zouhair, I am not sure why you think you need to move Prod to Derby. My understanding is that you want your Test env to become your Prod (because of the data).

T M commented Sep 12 '12, 8:55 a.m.

I think he meant, point prod DB to derby, move derby DB from pilot to prod, then move derby to SQL Server!

Zouhair Ramram commented Sep 12 '12, 9:17 a.m.

Sorry for not being anymore clear. Exactly what Mr. T said.

T M commented Sep 12 '12, 9:24 a.m.

Seems it is fixed in 4.0.1 M3 Milestone release. Question: Can we use a milestone release in production?

Jorge Diaz commented Sep 12 '12, 9:25 a.m. | edited Sep 12 '12, 9:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Zouhair, please check this article again https://jazz.net/library/article/818 (point 6). Server rename is not meant to be done with Derby DB but after adopting a production level DB. You would look for migrating data to that kind of DB prior to a "pilot to production" with rename operation. If you need to use SQL Server for that type of production level DB you would need to wait until the future release including the fix for rename with SQL Server bug (work item in my first reply).

Jorge Diaz commented Sep 12 '12, 9:31 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Couple more of notes: milestones in production envs (for production purposes), is not supported and discouraged, there is a warning in the milestones downloads page. WRT the work item discussed, you can see the Planned For attribute set for 4.0.0.1

Zouhair Ramram commented Sep 12 '12, 9:56 a.m.

Jorge, I noticed that 4.0.0.1 is planned to be released on September 15th, which should be acceptable. The best thing would be to wait for the release before performing the scenario. Thanks!

showing 5 of 8 show 3 more comments

2 other answers

permanent link
T M (8876187143) | answered Sep 12 '12, 5:35 a.m.
edited Sep 12 '12, 5:53 a.m.

*Would that be the right way to go?

>>Yes

*Also, is there some additional documentation about how to do perform the server rename correctly? I haven't found much documentation on it, which gives me the feeling I should avoid this procedure preferrably. 

>>I'm in the same boat as you are! See one of my previous posts for the steps and infocenter has detailed steps for the server rename procedure.

permanent link
T M (8876187143) | answered Sep 12 '12, 8:46 a.m.

How about renaming the server?

Pilot app server on machine A. Pilot SQL DB on machine B.

Prod app server on machine C. Prod SQL DB on machine D.

Detach A and B from the network. Rename C to A and D to B.

Will this work? 

Comments
Zouhair Ramram commented Sep 12 '12, 8:55 a.m.

Unfortunately, this won't work. The pilot server is in a different geographic site (read different domain). Also, the server names need to be compliant to specific guidelines.

T M commented Sep 12 '12, 8:57 a.m.

In my case, they are all on the same domain. Will it work for me?

Jorge Diaz commented Sep 12 '12, 9:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't understand what you try to achieve, nor what you mean to renaming the DBs. If the DB has to be moved you can modify the connection details in the CLM apps administration pages. In addition, currently the supported scenarios for server rename are "pilot to production" and "stage a test environment". I also want to insist again SQL Server doesn't work for server rename in 4.0

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.