It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using RTC with DB2's HADR feature, need purchase DB2 license for stanby server?

Hiroki Nishinoiri (111) | asked Sep 03 '12, 8:04 a.m.
Our customer wants to construct RTC with DB2 HADR environment using budled DB2 license.  In this case, can they do it without purchasing additional DB2 license to setup HADR?

2 answers

permanent link
ankur sharma (66212228) | answered Sep 02 '13, 5:48 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 This needs to be checked with DB2 forum. Jazz/RTC can not answer this question.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 02 '13, 10:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The DB2 team is unlikely to know the licensing terms for use of DB2 for Jazz/RTC ... that would be a question for the Jazz/RTC team.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 02 '13, 10:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Your RTC entitlement to DB2 is covered under "Optional Programs" section of the license (for 4.0.3, see: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0.3?p=optionalPrograms ).
This in turns refers you to the licensing page (for 4.0.3, see: https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/4.0.3?p=license/license_en ).

The two terms that appear relevant here are: 
"Each valid client license includes a license to run one instance of DB2 Workgroup or Enterprise Edition"
and
"Licensee is authorized to install and use such Supporting Programs only to support Licensee's use of the Principal Program under this Agreement and within the limits of the Proofs of Entitlement for the Program".
So I'd conclude from this that you are allowed to use multiple DB2 instances (one for each client license you purchased), as long as they are all being used to support RTC and not some other DB2 application.  You would need to confirm that DB2 Enterprise Edition provides the HADR capabilities you are looking for.

Note: I've sent email to the RTC product manager to verify that my interpretation is correct.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.