It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why is my Sandbox instance running slow?

Donald Bowie (111) | asked Aug 30 '12, 2:26 p.m.

Hello,

My customer mentioned that their sandbox instance runs considerably slower than what they've seen in videos and in person demos.

They are experiencing quite a bit of latency when clicking on links and transitioning through containers.

It appears not to be limited to any particluar time of day, or browser.

Who could comment/assist with some investigation?

3 answers

permanent link
Seth Packham (1.4k42213) | answered Aug 30 '12, 2:34 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 30 '12, 2:55 p.m.
It is very likely that it is running slower simply because of the popularity and sheer number of projects running on the single server, which is not a typical use case that the product was optimized for. 

Which sandbox are they on right now? Sandbox01 or sandbox02? Sandbox01 has been open longer so it has several thousand project areas on it where people are playing around. Sandbox02 was just refreshed last week or so, and was upgraded to the latest 4.0.1 M2 milestone and has fewer project areas so far.

We're trying to get to a place where we can rotate in more sandboxes and refresh them more often so more people can have a better experience.

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Aug 30 '12, 2:32 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
usually the machine it is on is underpowered, or they have slow network connection between the application server and the clients, or between the application server and the database server.  If they just did the quick and dirty setup, be aware that Derby is going to run slower as well.

Comments
Seth Packham commented Aug 30 '12, 2:56 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Our jazz.net sandboxes are running on WAS and DB2, but the main issue is probably number of project areas (not users).

Daniel Toczala commented Aug 30 '12, 3:15 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I assumed the question was about someone's own sandbox, not the Jazz.net sandbox. If this is about the jazz.net sandbox, then forget anything that I said....(grin)

Charles Wojaczyk commented Aug 31 '12, 4:25 p.m.

I don't know what changed, but I have almost no latency using the air card and vpn. Wow...what a difference. Thanks.

permanent link
Charles Wojaczyk (1) | answered Aug 31 '12, 4:19 p.m.
Thanks for the help. The projects are in Jazz.net Sandbox01, TTT Projects (RC, TC and QM). Speed varies. Monday it came to a crawl and was timing out. Initially connected via a 4G air card/vpn using IE9. Tried from home over FiOS using IE9, FF 14 and Chrome 18 with similar results. I ran the performance widget, which pointed to a network issue. Performance on other sites was fine

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.