It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Data Warehouse upgrade fails from 3.0.1.3 to 4.0

Pierre Friend (191915) | asked Aug 28 '12, 2:09 p.m.
edited Aug 29 '12, 2:57 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646)
Using sandbox environment to test upgrade of CLM applications all residing on one server

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit
Database: Oracle 10g Enterprise R2

Step 2 of JTS upgrade script fails
repotools-jts -upgradeWarehouse returns error CRJAZ1728E An unexpected error has been detected. See the log file "INSTALLDIR\server\repotools-jts_upgradeWarehouse.log" for more details.

LOG DETAILS
2012-08-28 12:24:53,972 CREATE TABLE RIODS.EXECRESULT_CATEGORY_LOOKUP(EXECUTION_RESULT_ID INTEGER NOT NULL, TEST_CATEGORY_ID INTEGER NOT NULL) TABLESPACE VNF_32K
com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: CREATE TABLE RIODS.EXECRESULT_CATEGORY_LOOKUP(EXECUTION_RESULT_ID INTEGER NOT NULL, TEST_CATEGORY_ID INTEGER NOT NULL) TABLESPACE VNF_32K
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.internalExecuteSql(AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.java:247)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.executeSqlIgnoringGrantAndUserErrors(AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.java:123)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.oracle.internal.OracleDataWarehouseDbProvider.migrateDataWarehouseCoreTables(OracleDataWarehouseDbProvider.java:90)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:600)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:347)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:56)
    at $Proxy433.migrateDataWarehouseCoreTables(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.internal.RemoteDatabaseService$2.run(RemoteDatabaseService.java:180)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.internal.RemoteDatabaseService$5.run(RemoteDatabaseService.java:254)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.ConnectionPoolService.withCurrentConnection(ConnectionPoolService.java:381)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.internal.RemoteDatabaseService.write(RemoteDatabaseService.java:244)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.internal.RemoteDatabaseService.upgradeRemoteSchemas(RemoteDatabaseService.java:164)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:48)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:347)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:56)
    at $Proxy408.upgradeRemoteSchemas(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.internal.UpgradeDataWarehouseCommand.execute(UpgradeDataWarehouseCommand.java:19)
    at com.ibm.team.repotools.command.AbstractCommand.execute(AbstractCommand.java:66)
    at com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.internal.RepositoryToolsApplication.run(RepositoryToolsApplication.java:768)
    at com.ibm.team.repotools.rcp.internal.RepositoryToolsApplication.start(RepositoryToolsApplication.java:843)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:620)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:575)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1408)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1384)
Caused by: java.sql.SQLException: ORA-00955: name is already used by an existing object

at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:440)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIoer.processError(T4CTTIoer.java:396)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.processError(T4C8Oall.java:837)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.receive(T4CTTIfun.java:445)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CTTIfun.doRPC(T4CTTIfun.java:191)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4C8Oall.doOALL(T4C8Oall.java:523)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.doOall8(T4CStatement.java:193)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.T4CStatement.executeForRows(T4CStatement.java:999)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.doExecuteWithTimeout(OracleStatement.java:1315)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.executeInternal(OracleStatement.java:1890)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatement.execute(OracleStatement.java:1855)
    at oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleStatementWrapper.execute(OracleStatementWrapper.java:304)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.db.jdbcwrappers.stat.StatementStatWrapper.execute(StatementStatWrapper.java:178)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.db.jdbcwrappers.errlog.StatementErrLogWrapper.execute(StatementErrLogWrapper.java:169)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.db.jdbcwrappers.leak.StatementLeakWrapper.execute(StatementLeakWrapper.java:70)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.executeStatement(AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.java:108)
    at com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.internalExecuteSql(AbstractDataWarehouseDbProvider.java:227)
    ... 40 more

Any idea what the problem is and and how to fix it

Thanks in advance

Pierre

Comments
Pierre Friend commented Sep 13 '12, 9:37 a.m.

I investigated further and found the solution to my problem. Since I was not able to update the warehouse from v.3.0.1.3 to v.4.0 using the repotools-jts -upgradeWarehouse, I decided to drop the existing DB users and tablespaces as per the following instructions

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/MoreControlOverTheOracleDataWarehouseSetup?

Once the data warehouse was dropped, I manually invoked the command repotools-jts -createWarehouse

The warehouse was then create successfully

I ran all data warehouse collection jobs for all applications

Data warehouse jobs were successful.

Server ETL logs did not generate any errors.

Having resolved my issue, it would still be good to find out why this specific error occurred for future reference.

Thanks again, Pierre

Rosa Naranjo commented Sep 15 '12, 12:18 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Pierre, by dropping your data warehouse you lost all your historical trending data. This operation is a lossy one in that you do lose the data collected by the STAR ETLs. I guess that you must not have been using the data warehouse all that much.

Also, in order to investigate any issues you need to open a defect. In the future, you are also welcome to search our work items for similar issues.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11723) | answered Sep 15 '12, 12:19 p.m.
 This issue was resolved by dropping the data warehouse instead of upgrading it.  I advised Pierre to open a work item so that the issue can be reported to development
Pierre Friend selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Pierre Friend commented Oct 02 '12, 1:44 p.m.

Rosa, the data warehouse was rarely used because of a previous QM ETL defect discovered in v.3.0.1 which was eventually fixed with the v.3.0.1.3 release. Now, since the data warehouse upgrade from 3.01.3 to 4.0 happened in our sandbox environment, I was not worried about losing the historical data. The upgrade was simply an exercise to see how the refreshed PROD data would react to the v.4.0 upgrade scripts. I obviously got the answer when the DW upgrade failed. I will recreate the sandbox environment and run the upgrade again. if the data warehouse from 3.0.1.3 to 4.0 fails, I will open a defect with your development team to investigate.

Pierre Friend commented Dec 11 '12, 11:34 a.m.

According to the release notes for version 4.0.1 and technote 1611832  http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21611832, the data warehouse upgrade failure is caused by a defect. After installing v.4.0.1, the upgrade of the data warehouse was successful. My sandbox CLM upgrade from 3.0.1.3 to 4.0.1 was completed with no other errors or issues.

Thanks,
Pierre

Rosa Naranjo commented Dec 11 '12, 12:22 p.m.

Pierre
Thanks for the update. I appreciate hearing good news like this.

One other answer

permanent link
Nanda Kumar (1122) | answered Sep 30 '12, 10:35 a.m.
Pierre, Were you able to revert all the previous reports, after creating new DW database & running the data warehouse collection jobs ? Do you see any change in Execution Trend S curve ? Especially, the vertical bar's in the graph for the test plan "completed and attempted" status are visible ??

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.