It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Eclipse plugin: How to catch the load event of a repository workspace

Josh Bambrick (21135) | asked Aug 27 '12, 6:39 p.m.
edited Aug 28 '12, 7:03 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
I am working on a plugin for Eclipse that allows me to catch the load event of a repository work space. 

Is it possible to catch a repository's load event before the work space is loaded?

What is the name of the load event that I am looking for?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 06 '12, 10:36 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
When you say "the load event", do you mean the event that causes a files to be downloaded from RTC to local disk?   If so, note that this is just one of the many ways that a user can access the content of a file.  For example, they can directly browse RTC repository files in Eclipse without loading them, they can use the Visual Studio IDE, they can use the scm command line, they can use the MS-SCCI integration, they can use the WebUI, or they can use the Microsoft Windows Explorer.   What were you hoping to achieve by catching that event?

Comments
Steve Briand commented Sep 07 '12, 9:31 a.m.

Hi Geoff, our intent is to prevent loading in certain situations.

• Restrict loading to certain machines
  • Cannot load to a remote location

These would be based on a specific component. The group involved would not be using Visual Studio or the MS-SCCI integration. They do all of their work either in Eclipse or the command line. The client machines involved are running Linux. Our thought is that if we could intercept the event that initiates a Repository Workspace load then we could create a precondition plug-in to prevent loading based on the criteria above.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 11 '12, 1:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

To my knowledge, only operations that modify server data are currently enabled for process. So since a "load" does not modify server data, it is not a process-enabled operation, so unfortunately, you cannot add a process precondition to it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.