It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How does "sorting=user defined" within a plan view work?

Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | asked Jul 31 '12, 4:18 p.m.
Within a plan view I ca define sorting option. In the dropdown list, some predefined fileds are given. There is also an entry "User defined", but without any additional parameter like a fieldname etc..
How should this work?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Aradhya K (1.4k44345) | answered Aug 03 '12, 2:21 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
By selecting the  "User defined" sort  order the user can re arrange the work items based on their convenience. The user defined in here is from the sense of how the user want to order their work items. This order is persisted on reloading the plan as well.
If sorting is selected as Ranking the moving the work items up or down then the ranking of the work items is affected. But if the sorting is "User defined" the rank does not change. 
Guido Schneider selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Guido Schneider commented Aug 03 '12, 3:57 p.m.

Thanks Aradhya, you write "This order is persistent". I have now set "sorting=user defined". This works. But how do I now define on which column it should persistent sort? I can click on column headers and the plan or the group will be sorted by this column. But on refresh the sort is changed to an unknown default (I think Id).

Aradhya K commented Aug 06 '12, 12:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Guido When sorting is "User Defined" its not based on any of the work item attributes. User will define the order by rearranging the work items in the list and the same order will be retained. For Example if below is the default order and user wants Task 3 to appear before Task 1 then he can just drag task 3 above task 1 and this order will be retained. Parent Story Task 1 Task 2 Task 3

The only difference between this and Ranking is that when user rearranges the work items then the ranking of the work item is changed. But in User Defined the ranking does not change.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.