It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work flow isolation

Bharath Adhithya (5213351) | asked Jul 23 '12, 5:21 a.m.
retagged Jul 23 '12, 7:56 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)

Hi,

We have a common workflow for 3 work item types. Now we want to seperate the workflow and keep individual workflows for  each of the work item type. What will happen if i use the duplicate work flow option? I need the same workflow. I do this in order restrict few permissions on the specific work item. My another query is that what will happen to state of the work items which previously shared the workflow? Will it change the state of the old work items?

Thanks,

Adhithya

2 answers

permanent link
Ifeanyichukwu Agu (561) | answered Jul 26 '12, 1:30 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Adhithya,

Using the duplicate workflow feature would make a human readable copy of the workflow and its constituent states but RTC still recognizes this duplicate as a different workflow with different states from the original. Consequently, making duplicates of your workflow and assigning the duplicates to the different work item types that currently share a workflow would result in stranding already created work items. So no, RTC wouldn't change the state of old work items.

Comments
Bharath Adhithya commented Jul 27 '12, 5:47 a.m.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. May i know what is the actual purpose of Duplicate workflow? Also is there any way to achieve the above?

Thanks, Adhithya

permanent link
Daniel Toczala (88211514) | answered Jul 27 '12, 10:30 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that when you change the workflow, all of the workitems that existed prior to the workflow change retain the properties of the old workflow, and only new workitems will reflect your workflow changes.  It used to drive me crazy when I would be trying to test out workflow changes, because I would have a bunch of test data that didn't seem to act as if I had changed anything.

Also keep in mind the impact of workflow changes on your dashboard widgets.  Some of those widgets may look a little strange at first, due to the different workflows being represented for the same work item types.  To see an example of this, try creating a widget that displays the status of two different work item types (like story and task).  You will see a mix of states, with "Closed (Story)" and "Closed (Task)" being two different states.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.