It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to ignore the incoming changes for an unloaded component?

Michael Shan (112) | asked Jul 19 '12, 4:01 a.m.
edited Jul 21 '12, 3:54 p.m. by David Olsen (5237)
I have four components in a stream, and I only care about one component and part of another component. I don't care about changes made in the remaining two components. So I just loaded the component and the folders that I'm interested. However, when other people make changes to the files in my unloaded components, I still get incoming changes, and I'll have to accept although the files are not in my sandbox.

How can I ignore the incoming changes for an unloaded component?

Thanks,

Michael

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered Jul 19 '12, 10:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Edit the flow target between your repository workspace and the stream to say that only the components you care about should flow between the two.

To do that:
1. Right click on your workspace in the Pending Changes view and select Open.
2. Click on the entry for your stream in the Flow Targets section at the bottom of the editor.  Click the Edit button.
3. Select "Flow only components checked below" and then select only the components you care about.
If you do that, changes to the other components will be completely ignored by the Pending Changes view and you will never have to accept them into your workspace.

-- David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 19 '12, 11:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thanks David, I never saw that!

Michael Shan commented Jul 20 '12, 9:19 a.m. | edited Jul 20 '12, 9:20 a.m.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Many thanks, David. I like this forum. :-)

Michael Shan commented Aug 06 '12, 4:38 a.m.

David, I got an issue with this solution. I edited the flow target so that changes made to some other components are not notified to me. However, when I tried to deliver my changes to my current component, RTC asked me to accept the incoming changes made on other components before my delivery.

Is there a way to completely ignore the changes of an unrelated component?

Maybe you can give me some further help?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

David Olsen commented Aug 06 '12, 11:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

You are being prevented from delivering by the precondition "Require Workspaces to Be Caught Up Before Delivery." That precondition still checks components that are not loaded and are not part of the flow target scope. You could try to convince the powers-that-be to change the precondition, either removing it or configuring it to apply only to certain components. But keeping your repository workspace up to date is generally a good thing, so don't be surprised if your request to relax the precondition is refused. If you can't get the precondition changed, then you will have to change the way you work, though not by much. Edit your flow target so that all components are tracked. You don't need to load the components into your sandbox, just have them tracked by the Pending Changes view. Then accept changes into those components from time to time. Accepting changes for those components should be quick, since it is just some bookkeeping on the server and nothing needs to be changed on your machine. And because you aren't changing those components, there should never be any conflicts or merges. So the extra burden of having to accept changes should be minimal.

Michael Shan commented Aug 08 '12, 8:36 a.m.

Got it, David. I'll check with our RTC admin to see the possibility of changing the precondition. If they can't, I'll then choose to accept the changes made to unloaded components. Thanks a lot.

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 19 '12, 4:24 a.m.
Have you tried to use the view menu (triangle pointing down) in the pending changes view? There is an option to only show the loaded components. There are more preferences in the preferences section.

Please be aware, if you filter the unloaded components away, you will still see that there are incoming changes on the stream, but only the details for your component. 

Comments
Michael Shan commented Jul 19 '12, 4:45 a.m.

Thanks so much, Ralph. I found that preference window and now the unloaded components are hidden. :-)

BTW, is there a way to automatically accept all the incoming changes?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 19 '12, 4:50 a.m.

Hi Michael, I don't think there is an option like that. Typically, you want to be isolated from changes other people do while working on your tasks. Only when you finished your tasks, or if there is reason to do so, or if you decide it has no impact, you would typically accept incoming changes. However, I see your point and you could ask for a way to configure it by creating a workitem.

Michael Shan commented Jul 20 '12, 9:22 a.m.

Hi Ralph, you meant I can open a work item for the RTC development team? Where can I open the work item?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 20 '12, 9:36 a.m.

The easiest way is to go to MyStuff - work items https://jazz.net/mystuff/#tab=workitems, there is a "Submit a bug" button. Choose the product you think is most appropriate and go ahead. It helps to provide a good description of the usecase/issue and the environment (in case of bugs). I tend to change the work item type to enhancement if it is not a defect.

Michael Shan commented Jul 20 '12, 10:05 a.m.

I see. Thanks Ralph. I created "Enhancement 218427" (https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=218427).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.