It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Contributor Licensing

Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | asked Jul 18 '12, 4:43 a.m.
retagged Oct 04 '12, 5:08 p.m. by Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115)
Hi,

I a working with a client on license purchace. We encountered a situation which prevents us giving a single user RTC-Contributor and RRC-Contributor license at the same time. The message says:

The "Rational Team Concert - Contributor-Floating" Client Access License (CAL) cannot be assigned to the user because the "Rational Requirements Composer - Contributor-Floating" CAL is already assigned to the user and the "Rational Requirements Composer - Contributor-Floating" CAL includes the all of the capabilities unlocked by "Rational Team Concert - Contributor-Floating" plus more operations. If you would like the user to have the "Rational Team Concert - Contributor-Floating" CAL assigned instead, first unassign the "Rational Requirements Composer - Contributor-Floating" CAL and then assign the "Rational Team Concert - Contributor-Floating" CAL.

We are trying to assign the license from JTS/ADMIN page. The message seems reasonable as the contributor license are giving the same permission for any application even you have one license. If my user has RRC-Contributor license,he/she will be able to do workitem operation in RTC and read-only access to RRC. If I give this user RTC-Contributor license, he/she will be able to do workitem operations and read-only access to RRC.

In my test environment, I can assign those two licenses to a single user. I was wondering which one behaves normally?

We are using CLM 3.0.1.3 in a distributed environment where RTC+JTS is one machine and RRC is running in another one.

8 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 23 '12, 4:12 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I can appreciate that this leads to confusion.  You can reassure yourselves that any of the contributor licenses provide Read-write access to work items and planning and read (+comment + review/approval) access to other artifacts by consulting the license overview page in the V3 or V4 information centers (for CLM V3 it's here: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp?topic=/com.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc/topics/c_license_mgmt_over.html/ ).

The reason we offer the same Contributor capabilities under each product name is that some customers start by purchasing one of the CLM products. For example RQM: an organization wants contributor licenses for their extended QA community (i.e, those who don't need a RQM Quality Professional license), and it's easier for their purchasing departments to understand if all the part numbers are related to RQM.  When this organization deploys RTC or other CLM products, the RQM Contributor licenses become even more useful -- they provide access to additional lifecycle artifacts.

It's also worth noting that the RQM Quality Professional license includes Contributor-level access to the other tools, and the pattern is followed by the other tools too:  if someone has a practitioner license to one of the tools (RTC Developer, RQM Quality Professional, RRC Analyst), they already have Contributor access to the other CLM tools' data that share the same JTS.  So you don't need to give your Developers any Contributor-level licenses for requirements or test artifacts when those tools share the same JTS as RTC.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 19 '12, 3:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I just tried to do that on my RTC 4 install and I was able to save a user with RRC Contributor Floating and RTC Contributor Floating License.

Not sure what is happening.

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Jul 31 '12, 6:06 a.m.
edited Jul 31 '12, 6:06 a.m.

Hi,

I forgot to follow my question :9 Thank you for all the answers but we have problems with licensing.

One user from the company has RTC-Contributor lisence, whenever we try to login RRC with that user we have this error message.But we are able to login RTC.And also there's no other license assigned to that user. But if we assign only RRC-Contributor we can login to both application.

You can see the error message given.

Show Header

The application cannot be accessed.

hide details

ID CRRRW7281E  A license is required to access the application. A license for you might not be installed or assigned. Contact your administrator who can ensure that a license is installed and assigned to you.

Error: Unable to load https://servername:9443/rdm/storedquery?dojo.preventCache=1343303251845 status:403

URL: https://servername:9443/rdm/storedquery

{ "detailedMessage": "CRJAZ1848E To perform the \"com.ibm.rrs.saveComment\" operation, your server administrator must assign you one of the following licenses installed on the server: Analyst-Floating, Analyst, Quality Professional, Contributor, Contributor, Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms, Contributor-Floating. You can contact your administrator, learn more about licenses in the Information Center (under Help > Help Contents), consult the Rational License Key Center on IBM.COM, or visit Jazz.net for information on licenses available for purchase or trial. (More info found at entry [3ae39c9546f5affe] in RRS server log)", "errorMessage": "Forbidden", "errorStatus": "403" }

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 23 '12, 2:01 p.m.
Let's back up for a minute: why do you want to assign both RTC Contributor and RRC Contributor?  These two licenses provide exactly the same capabilities to the user: "Contributor" level access to the CLM products associated with that Jazz Team Server.  Thus a user needs only one or the other.

Comments
Sterling Ferguson-II commented Jul 23 '12, 3:54 p.m.

Daniel, I have had the same issue. It would be great if it was just listed as ONE Contributor license. Having it listed as RTC Contributor, RRC Contributor, etc gives the impression of having to assign multiple times.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jul 23 '12, 4:15 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
FYI: Table 1 shows the high level capabilities of the Contributor license

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_license_mgmt_over.html

Yes it is confusing, but only 1 contributor license should be needed.

permanent link
Sterling Ferguson-II (1.6k8280269) | answered Jul 31 '12, 9:34 a.m.
edited Jul 31 '12, 9:36 a.m.
Sorry to list this as an answer, but Comment does not keep formatting.

Glad I subscribed to this question. (I wish it was shown in the MyStuff area).

I just got a call from a customer who has the 10-Free Dev license for RTC. They purchased a couple of RRC and RQM licenses and created some LifeCycle Projects. They have a user (who only has a RTC Dev license assigned who is getting the same error above when trying to access RRC. (except it's CRRRW7282E, but the same "A license is required..)

When she tries to login to RQM, no error, but it just states

You have successfully logged into Jazz Team Server but you are not authorized to access Rational Quality Manager. An error response was received from the Jazz Team Server. Status=400. Message: CRJAZ1848E To perform the "com.ibm.rqm.login" operation, your server administrator must assign you one of the following licenses installed on the server: Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms-Floating, Contributor, Contributor, Contributor, Developer for IBM Enterprise Platforms, Analyst-Floating, Analyst, Quality Professional, Quality Professional-Floating. What gives?

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jul 31 '12, 10:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Canberk, Sterling,

This could be a bug because the intention is that Contributor license behaves the same in all applications but please can you check whether the person accessing the RM application is a member of the RM project area and what are the permissions for the default (Everybody role) and do they have such role permissions such as "Save a Comment" and "Modify".

Now in regards to the RTC 10-Free Dev License and accessing other applications I don't know if there are any restrictions with its use with other applications, it is not clear what the Developer-10-C Client Access License provides in this case:

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc/topics/c_license_mgmt_over.html#licensemgmtover__typesOfCals

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 31 '12, 10:19 a.m.
@Robin I also was going to ask whether these teams have the RTC 10-Free or other "special" RTC licenses (in which case a separate Contributor license would be needed to access data created and managed by RRC.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.