It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cognos 10 - Windows socket service start and stop !

deni sukisno (1166) | asked Jun 20 '12, 12:03 a.m.
edited Jun 20 '12, 12:06 a.m.

hi ,I have a cognos 10 installed (with Rational Insight) on a Windows server 2008 64bit .

When I open the Cognos Data configuration and try to start the socket server I get the following error :

[Start]
[ ERROR ] JAVA_HOME = C:\IBM\Rational Insight\AppServer\java\jre
CATALINA_HOME = C:\IBM\Rational Insight\cognos\bin\..\tomcat
starting DM Socket Service DMSOCKSRV
The IBM Cognos Data Manager Socket Server (DMSOCKSRV) service is starting.
waiting 1 for net start DMSOCKSRV to complete
waiting 10 for net start DMSOCKSRV to complete
waiting 100 for net start DMSOCKSRV to complete
errorlevel 1 exit 1
The IBM Cognos Data Manager Socket Server (DMSOCKSRV) service could not be started.

The service did not report an error.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3534.

Please, If you have any solution for above problem please please help me. Thanks in Advance.

3 answers

permanent link
Shuai Hu (41112) | answered Jun 27 '12, 10:57 p.m.
Hi,

It seems you're trying to start Cognos's embedded Tomcat. I assume you're using Insight 1.1. But Insight should be running on Websphere. You can start the websphere application server instead.

permanent link
deni sukisno (1166) | answered Jun 28 '12, 12:54 p.m.
Hi, Shuai Hu

Yes, I use insight 1.1 and i use Websphere. This error occurs when after configuring for connection to database content store at cognos configuration and start or run the service .Sorry about my explanation this happened on at cognos configuration not on cognos data configuration but it points to the Cognos Data Manager Socket Server.

so you mean that the actual error have no effect on Cognos Data Manager Socket Server? and By starting websphere server application will automatically run cognos configuration?can you explain to me why this happen.

Thanks in Advance.

permanent link
Shuai Hu (41112) | answered Jul 01 '12, 10:55 p.m.
Can you tell me what button did you click to reproduce the error? By default the launch button in "IBM Cognos Configuration" is disabled. So you can't start the embedded tomcat there. If you just want to start the Cognos BI Server, you should start the websphere application server instead of Tomcat.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.