It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Advanced Release Burndown - must I set current iteration?

Nicholas Carbone (6168) | asked May 31 '12, 3:01 p.m.
Does the logic of the Advanced Release Burndown report require me to keep marking the current iteration as we proceed forward in a release?

I have an iteration structure (actually one of many in my timeline) with a release-level iteration and the required project release plan for that iteration along with 10 sprint-level iterations beneath. The start date of the release-level iteration matches the start date of the 1st sprint-level iteration and the end date of the release-level iteration matches the end date of the 10th sprint-level iteration. This is supposed to define the scope of the release. Note that none of the sprint-level iterations overlap, but there are gaps between them (which should be OK).

The problem I have is that when none of the iterations are marked current, the report generates "stacked bars" for each iteration out through the end of the release, instead of stopping with the most recently completed sprint-level iteration and then drawing the three projection lines (optimistic, best guess, pessimistic). The remaining and velocity points are correct with respect to completed sprint-level iterations, but then they flatten out (showing no progress) through the end of the release. The ideal line is there as normal.

I guess I expected the report to key off of the sprint-level iteration start and end dates, not the fact that an iteration is marked current. I don't believe it is wrong to assume an iteration is complete when it's end date has passed.

Perhaps this can be an option of the report??

Now, assuming I do need to mark the current iteration as current, and I have done that (and waited a day), I still don't get the proper report. The report data still shows it does not know the current iteration, nor does it know the end date for the release even though it knows the end iteration.

How do I go about figuring out what is wrong here??

2 answers

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered May 31 '12, 8:04 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Advanced Release Burndown report was contributed by an IBMer who is not a member of the CLM Reporting team. The report is very complex and I will need some time to study it. I would suggest you raise an enhancement request and we will consider improving the report or may be rewriting it and making it easier to use.

Have you used the regular Release Burndown report?

permanent link
Nicholas Carbone (6168) | answered Jun 01 '12, 9:19 a.m.
Rafik,

I actually opened 3 Enhancements yesterday against the RTC Reporting team area and I believe all them are assigned to you. The one related to the apparent requirement of the current iteration is here:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=213653

Since yesterday, I believe I confirmed for myself that the "current iteration" is required for this report to work correctly, however, for the reason I stated in the Enhancement description, I would prefer that it use the current date to determine what iterations are complete, what iteration is current, and what iterations are future.

I cannot comment too much on the regular Release Burndown report, because it does not appear to work correctly in my project area. The set of iterations to choose from is nowhere near the complete list and even for the ones I can select, the chart does not appear to get drawn correctly. Even if the report did work according to its description, it is the future projection lines and the velocity plotting of the Advanced Release Burndown that make it most useful.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.