It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to calculate velocity for defects

Maggie Stearns (1063027) | asked May 24 '12, 12:41 p.m.
Hi:

I'm using RTC 3.0.1.1

My question is partially Agile process and partially tooling....

If I have a team that works mostly with defects and some stories, how can I calculate velocity? The standard report for velocity accesses story points and thus ignoring defects.

Should I create a modified velocity report that includes time estimates from defects? Does anyone have one I can look at? I've installed BIRT but it may be a while before I'm productive with it.

What are other teams doing? Should we instead create a story that estimates the entire set of defects for that iteration?

-Thanks
Maggie

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 25 '12, 10:22 a.m.
As we've discussed I think you do the team a disservice by trying to create a different report.. Defect looks like a Task, but work breakdown is hidden in a Defect. eval, coding, testing, doc, dependent tasks, stories....

so, my professional opinion is if you are going to work Defects as part of an agile sprint, then they have to have a Story above them that allows

1. the additional tasks to be identified & sized
2. the rollup of the sizings
3. the acceptance criteria
etc..

if you create the parent story, then everything else works, out of the box. the only thing complicating this is Defect has its own unique workflow (which u know we have spent countless hours getting agreement on for those NOT using agile).

also, I'd rather u spend the time building a Rational Insight dashboard gadget than BIRT as we are going to use Insight.
(soon as I can get the licenses paid for)

Sam

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.