It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

build workspace not updated

john norris (20733844) | asked May 15 '12, 8:24 a.m.
Hi,
new to using the build toolkit in RTC.
This is what I have done.
Created build user.
Created build defintion that uses maven. Build definition workspace owned by build user.
Started build listener and scehduled a build. I have delivered some code that compiles to the stream.
Build fails. When I look in the workspace directory on the build machine, it is empty except for .jazz5 and .flag directories.
So it looks as though the workspace has not been loaded and so no pom and hence a failed build.
Is the workspace automatically updated by the build engine? Is there something I am supposed to set.
Regards,
John

4 answers

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 15 '12, 10:17 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Created build user.
Created build defintion that uses maven. Build definition workspace owned by build user.
Started build listener and scehduled a build. I have delivered some code that compiles to the stream.
Build fails. When I look in the workspace directory on the build machine, it is empty except for .jazz5 and .flag directories.
So it looks as though the workspace has not been loaded and so no pom and hence a failed build.
Is the workspace automatically updated by the build engine? Is there something I am supposed to set.

There is a flag in the build definition that controls whether or not changes are accepted into the build workspace at the beginning of the build. The "Accept latest changes before loading" check box on the Jazz Source Control tab. Make sure that is checked.

You also need to configure the build's repository workspace so that it flows with the stream whose source you want to build. That is controlled in the editor for the repository workspace, not in the build definition. Make sure that you have set that up correctly.

--
David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

permanent link
john norris (20733844) | answered May 15 '12, 10:49 a.m.
Hi Dave,
thanks for this.
The checkbox is ticked by default so that was OK.
And the flow target is the correct stream (there is only one at the moment).
And if I create and load a new workspace then the expected files are there.

my error log is
2012-05-15 12:36:11 running on host: XXXXXXXXXXX
2012-05-15 12:36:11 Should build occur?
2012-05-15 12:36:11 Yes: Always build a user initiated request.
2012-05-15 12:36:11 Invoking pre-build participant "com.ibm.team.build.jazzscm"
2012-05-15 12:36:13 Accepting changes into workspace "projectname (Build) Stream Workspace" ...
2012-05-15 12:36:14 Fetching files to fetch destination "C:\JazzWS" ...
2012-05-15 12:36:16 Invoking build participant "com.ibm.team.build.maven"
com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.InvalidPropertyValueException: The location "C:\JazzWS\clock" referenced by property "com.ibm.team.build.maven.projectLocation" does not exist.

Which is correct - it has not been loaded.
Regards,
John

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 15 '12, 1:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The checkbox is ticked by default so that was OK.
And the flow target is the correct stream (there is only one at the moment).
And if I create and load a new workspace then the expected files are there.

my error log is
2012-05-15 12:36:14 Fetching files to fetch destination "C:\JazzWS" ...
2012-05-15 12:36:16 Invoking build participant "com.ibm.team.build.maven"
com.ibm.team.build.internal.engine.InvalidPropertyValueException: The location "C:\JazzWS\clock" referenced by property "com.ibm.team.build.maven.projectLocation" does not exist.

Which is correct - it has not been loaded.

You should confirm that the repository workspace used by the build has the right contents. (Open the build definition in the Eclipse client. Click on the "Workspace" link near the top of the Jazz Source Control tab to open the editor for the repository workspace. In the pull down menu near the top of that editor, select Show > Repository Files. Using these gestures guarantees that you are looking at the same repository workspace used by the build and not a different workspace with a similar name.)

If the repository workspace has the right contents, then it is likely a problem fetching the workspace to the build machine. I'm not sure the best way to debug that since I haven't run into that problem much myself. You can start by monitoring the location on the build machine where the workspace is supposed to be loaded (from you log messages I think that's C:\JazzWS in your case) as the build happens. See what, if anything, is fetched during the build.

--
David Olsen, IBM Rational, Jazz Process Team

permanent link
john norris (20733844) | answered May 16 '12, 3:49 a.m.
Hi David,
I sorted out my problem.
When I set things up, I created a new component and added the code to this. But I made the component private. Which meant it was not visible to the builder user in its workspace.
So I made the component public and then it was put in the sandbox on the build machine.
And now the build fails but for good ol'fashioned coding reasons.
Many thanks for your help and time.
Regards,
John

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.