It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Shared project process: what parts get shared with child

Alan Murphy (531414) | asked May 08 '12, 11:19 a.m.
retagged Jul 22 '13, 4:43 p.m. by Ralph Earle (25739)
We're tryng to understand what parts of a 'master' projects process definition get shared with child projects. Specifically, if I make changes in the master, what gets flowed to the child projects process.
Also are there any situations where perhaps a change in a child would stop the further flow of changes to that child.
We're struggling to find anything definitive on how this all works. All I could find at the end of a short article on chaging to a shared process was
The project area now uses the roles, permissions, operation preconditions and follow-up actions, and configuration data from the sharing project area. Within your project area, you can customize process settings unless the project administrator of the sharing project area has set those settings as Final (ignore customization of this operation in child areas).
Although editor presentations are part of configuration data, it doesn;t seem to flow through.
Pointers anyone ??

4 answers

permanent link
Vladimir Zahariev (1503) | answered May 08 '12, 9:02 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We're tryng to understand what parts of a 'master' projects process definition get shared with child projects. Specifically, if I make changes in the master, what gets flowed to the child projects process.
Also are there any situations where perhaps a change in a child would stop the further flow of changes to that child.
We're struggling to find anything definitive on how this all works. All I could find at the end of a short article on chaging to a shared process was
The project area now uses the roles, permissions, operation preconditions and follow-up actions, and configuration data from the sharing project area. Within your project area, you can customize process settings unless the project administrator of the sharing project area has set those settings as Final (ignore customization of this operation in child areas).
Although editor presentations are part of configuration data, it doesn;t seem to flow through.
Pointers anyone ??

Hi Alan,

The following link has information about process sharing: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.platform.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_sharing_project_area_process.html&re=1&scope=null

Have You used the Unconfigured Process template to create the project area that consume process (as the note on the top of the above page recommends)? As the note says, using a template that defines its own process causes the project area that consumes process to override the process it is consuming, which is not usually the desired behavior.

Regards,
-Vlad

permanent link
Alan Murphy (531414) | answered May 10 '12, 5:33 a.m.
Pointers anyone ??

Hi Alan,

The following link has information about process sharing: https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.platform.doc%2Ftopics%2Fc_sharing_project_area_process.html&re=1&scope=null

Have You used the Unconfigured Process template to create the project area that consume process (as the note on the top of the above page recommends)? As the note says, using a template that defines its own process causes the project area that consumes process to override the process it is consuming, which is not usually the desired behavior.

Regards,
-Vlad

Thanks for the link Vlad, that was exactly what I was looking for. In this particular case, we didn't create the child project from an unconfigured template as the projects already existed, but were originally created from the same template and the process hadn't been customised in either project. We just wanted to share the changes we were about to start making (we compared the XML to be sure). We were following the instructions on linking projects, but the first thing we tried was customising the editor presentation and that didn't get flowed across. This is what prompted the question. Looks like we may have to have a rethink

Comments
Robert Myers commented Jul 17 '13, 8:58 a.m.

It seems that when I use the Unconfigured Process Template for the Consumers of the Provider Process, I see a Dashboard in the Consumer that looks just like the Dashboard in the Provider and yet when I modify the Provider Dashboard, the Consumer Dashboard remains unchanged.  It appears hat there is an initial consumption but not a subsequent Consumption.  Does that make sense?

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Jul 20 '13, 10:58 a.m.
In addition to the help topic referenced above, you might also find this tutorial useful:  Standardize process by using project area process sharing.

Ken

Comments
Robert Myers commented Aug 29 '13, 9:55 a.m.

If I have a Provider-Consumer setup, and I need to add a plug-in that makes some OSLC calls, does the plug-in get installed on each Consumer?  If so, does that interfere with checkmarking 'Final' on any of the Provider Configuration data?

permanent link
Maria Victoria Martinez Torino (14924559) | answered Dec 18 '13, 9:01 a.m.
edited Dec 18 '13, 9:36 a.m.
I tried the following scenario to better understand what parts of the configuration are inherited from a Provider to a Consumer and here's what I found out as for Dashboard configuration:

1) Removed two widgets from the Provider: one at the project's level (via web) and another one from the process configuration (Project Configuration --> Configuration Data --> Dashboards --> Dashboard Templates).
Note: The "Final..." check is marked.

2) Went into the Consumers of the Provider stated in step1) and verified how this changed in the Provider affected each Consumer:
  - In a Consumer A that was originally based on an "Unconfigured Process Template" (which does not have any database configuration);
  - In a Consumer B that was originally based on the so-called "Standard Template Setup Process" (which has some basic settings of the process configuration not inherited from the Provider); and
  - In a Consumer C that was originally based on a custom template fully configured.

Note: both Provider and the Consumer C were generated based on the same custom template.

3) Changes done in the dashboard of  the Provider were not inherited in Consumer A or Consumer B or Consumer C.

Can you confirm if this is expected behavior? What about the Rational help stating that Configuration Data is inherited? How come the Consumers didn't inherit the changes done in the Configuration Data of the Provider?

I look forward to your comments.

Thanks in advance!
Vicky

Comments
Robert Myers commented Dec 18 '13, 9:29 a.m.

Was Final check marked?

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented Dec 18 '13, 9:37 a.m.

Yes it was. I was definitely not expecting this result =(

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.