It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Remove workitem type to NOT display while creating workitem

Sagar shah (821617) | asked May 07 '12, 11:53 a.m.
Hello,

What is the right way of removing the workitem type to be displayed while creating a new workitem.

We want enforce user to use "Task" workitem for there checkin/delivery

Project Configuration-->Configuration Data-->Work Items--Types and Attributes--> select and remove workitem Types not required is the right way of removing the workitems types to not get displayed while creating work item ?

-Thanks
Sagar

6 answers

permanent link
Shashank Balasubramanian (1361) | answered May 07 '12, 2:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Sagar,

You can prevent the user from creating a work item off a particular work item type by using the approach you outlined. However, if at a later stage, you choose to include this type (especially with custom types), you would need to redo all the associated workflow, editor etc. which might not seem a fruitful option.

Alternatively, you can configure the permissions such that you could deny a particular role from creating a work item off a particular work item type by unchecking the appropriate box under Project Configuration>Team Configuration>Permissions. In that window go to Work Items>Save Work Item>Create a Work Item>Create Work Item of a specific type and deny the appropriate permission based on your requirement to the roles (please keep in mind to deny from the Everyone role as well as every user inherits that role).

Hope this helps.

Shashank
RTC - Tracking and Planning

permanent link
Sagar shah (821617) | answered May 08 '12, 11:02 a.m.
Hi shashank,

This method id not working for me.. am i doing anything wrong here

I did exactly what you had mentioned.

open up Project--->process configuration--- Team Configuration>Permissions. In that window go to Work Items>Save Work Item>Create a Work Item>Create Work Item of a specific type

removed checkmark from workitem type which i do not want it to save. removed for all roles as we do not want to use this workitem type

I was still able to create the workitem and save it .. what did i miss here ?

-Thanks
Sagar

Hi Sagar,

You can prevent the user from creating a work item off a particular work item type by using the approach you outlined. However, if at a later stage, you choose to include this type (especially with custom types), you would need to redo all the associated workflow, editor etc. which might not seem a fruitful option.

Alternatively, you can configure the permissions such that you could deny a particular role from creating a work item off a particular work item type by unchecking the appropriate box under Project Configuration>Team Configuration>Permissions. In that window go to Work Items>Save Work Item>Create a Work Item>Create Work Item of a specific type and deny the appropriate permission based on your requirement to the roles (please keep in mind to deny from the Everyone role as well as every user inherits that role).

Hope this helps.

Shashank

permanent link
Shashank Balasubramanian (1361) | answered May 08 '12, 2:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are you saving the project configuration once you have made the changes as I tried those steps and was not able to save the work item?

Shashank

Hi shashank,

open up Project--->process configuration--- Team Configuration>Permissions. In that window go to Work Items>Save Work Item>Create a Work Item>Create Work Item of a specific type

removed checkmark from workitem type which i do not want it to save. removed for all roles as we do not want to use this workitem type

-Thanks
Sagar

Hi Sagar,

Hope this helps.

Shashank

permanent link
Sagar shah (821617) | answered May 08 '12, 3:27 p.m.
yes i did save the information i am using version 2.x.

i am also wonderinf why is it not working

-Sagar

Are you saving the project configuration once you have made the changes as I tried those steps and was not able to save the work item?

Shashank

Hi shashank,

-Thanks
Sagar

Hi Sagar,

Hope this helps.

Shashank

permanent link
David Olsen (5237) | answered May 08 '12, 3:43 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Does a team area within the project override that permission, granting
permission for everyone or for a particular role that you have? And
does the work item that you are creating happen to be owned by that team
area or one of its child team areas?

(I doubt that is the reason. But it is worth checking.)

--
David Olsen | IBM Rational | Jazz Process Team

permanent link
Sagar shah (821617) | answered May 09 '12, 3:48 p.m.
That was it the Team area was over riding it.

Opened up the Team Area---Process customization--permission---save work item---create workitem--create wrkitem of specific type--- and removed the workitem type i do not want it

and that worked

-Sagar

Does a team area within the project override that permission, granting
permission for everyone or for a particular role that you have? And
does the work item that you are creating happen to be owned by that team
area or one of its child team areas?

(I doubt that is the reason. But it is worth checking.)

--
David Olsen | IBM Rational | Jazz Process Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.