It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Thoughts on Different Totals Showing?

Dan Duce (2534745) | asked Apr 26 '12, 6:31 a.m.
Hi Guys,

I've got a strange problem where users in one community are seeing different numbers of assets available for viewing. It sounds simple, like maybe some assets are restricted, or users are in different groups with different visibility or they are seeing different versions grouped together or not...but I've run through all the easy answers and haven't found the source of the problem.

I have 3 users who all have Producer (and thus, Consumer) access in the same community. When they go to the Search screen and select their community one person sees 28 assets, another sees 27 assets and another see 13 assets showing.

They have exactly the same rights and all of the assets are using the same lifecycle which hides assets in Draft from being seen.

I've ascertained that the 27 versus 28 is a result of one person having a Draft asset that the others can't see, but the person seeing only 13 assets is a total mystery.

I've had them try clearing their browser cache and I've tried removing them from the group that gives them access and defaulting permissions for the entire community to Consumer. Nothing has changed. For some reason, they just can't see all of the Approved assets in their community and I can't find any setting that should be restricting it.

Is there anything you can think of that I might have missed? It's a puzzler. I'm using version 7.5.1.

Thanks,

11 answers

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Apr 26 '12, 11:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Have you tried doing an actual search by each user to see what assets show for each of them and see what is different between the 13 one and 27 one.

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered Apr 26 '12, 11:52 a.m.
One other thing you can try since you are 7.5.1, is for one of the assets that the one with 13 can't see but one the one with 27 can see is to go to the asset details, on left select Reports->Permissions.

This page will show you who as access and why they have access to the asset in each state.

In fact on this page you can go to the filter permissions for button on the upper right and select a user and it will narrow down the display to all of the different accesses the user has to the asset, filtering out the total list of ways a user could have access.

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534745) | answered May 09 '12, 7:56 a.m.
One other thing you can try since you are 7.5.1, is for one of the assets that the one with 13 can't see but one the one with 27 can see is to go to the asset details, on left select Reports->Permissions.

This page will show you who as access and why they have access to the asset in each state.

In fact on this page you can go to the filter permissions for button on the upper right and select a user and it will narrow down the display to all of the different accesses the user has to the asset, filtering out the total list of ways a user could have access.

Hey Rich,

I tried the permissions thing. Is it normal for it to come back with a totally blank screen? I've had this happen a few times. No headings or anything...just a totally blank browser window.

I entered in a user id for someone who would just be a logged in user and logged in users have Consumer permissions. Should it have shown something?

Thanks...

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 09 '12, 2:15 p.m.
Hi,

Yes it should of shown something. A totally blank screen usually means there was a bad error that was only logged in the server's ramdebug.log or SystemOut.log.

Try filtering down to one that does exist in the unfiltered list. To see if the problem is with filtering or for that specific person.

You should get the logs for the time when the error occurred so we can take a quick look and see if anything obvious stands out.

Thanks,
Rich

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534745) | answered May 10 '12, 9:51 a.m.
Hi,

Yes it should of shown something. A totally blank screen usually means there was a bad error that was only logged in the server's ramdebug.log or SystemOut.log.

Try filtering down to one that does exist in the unfiltered list. To see if the problem is with filtering or for that specific person.

You should get the logs for the time when the error occurred so we can take a quick look and see if anything obvious stands out.

Thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Yeah, the filter seems to be failing every time I try. I just got a blank browser windows. This is the url (minus server name) that is being executed:
https://xxxxxxx.com/ram/assetDetail/permissionsSummary.faces?ugid=&uid=cawthorn%40ca.ibm.com&guid=07D3C26D-004F-0F49-9251-D3BFD3E4D17F&v=1.0

This is trying to filter on someone who is a Community Administrator where the asset is stored, but it fails no matter what type of user I use.

There were no errors in the ramdebug.log anywhere near the time of the search

The SystemOut.log has a recurring message about an expired token, but it's not at the same time either. Here is the token error.

00000037 LTPAServerObj W SECJ0371W: Validation of the LTPA token failed because the token expired with the following info: Token expiration Date: Tue May 08 13:05:00 EDT 2012, current Date: Thu May 10 09:35:04 EDT 2012.

Other than that, no errors.

Cheers...

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 10 '12, 1:36 p.m.
One other possibility is the web server in between the browser and the app server. In that case there would be no errors in RAM or WAS but instead the web server.

Try bypassing the web server and going directly against the app server. If it works then you know there is a configuration problem on the web server.

Rich

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534745) | answered May 14 '12, 7:13 a.m.
One other possibility is the web server in between the browser and the app server. In that case there would be no errors in RAM or WAS but instead the web server.

Try bypassing the web server and going directly against the app server. If it works then you know there is a configuration problem on the web server.

Rich

Hi Rich,

You were bang on with your assessment. I by-passed the proxy server and the report ran perfectly.

That's the second time I've run into errors introduced at the proxy server. Do you have a list of settings that need to be enabled at the proxy server for things to run properly? Just wondering what is wrong and what other errors may be introduced that I don't know about.

Thanks again!

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 14 '12, 10:02 a.m.
Hi,

We don't have a list for proxy servers because there are different types. We do configure the WebSphere Plugin configuration for IHS.

As for your proxy server maybe there is some log in it saying why it didn't pass on the output. I have no idea myself as to why it didn't work. Proxy servers are completely out of my ken. :-(

Rich

permanent link
Rich Kulp (3.6k38) | answered May 16 '12, 10:18 a.m.
Hi,
BTW, by bypassing the web server were you able to diagnose the original problem of why some users had different access than others?

Thanks,
Rich

permanent link
Dan Duce (2534745) | answered May 16 '12, 10:27 a.m.
Hi,
BTW, by bypassing the web server were you able to diagnose the original problem of why some users had different access than others?

Thanks,
Rich

Hi Rich,

I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't a browser cache issue. After I did a bunch of investigation the user reported that the problem "went away". I'm still following up to be sure, but suddenly they are able to see twice the approved assets that they saw before.

Ah well.... at least I resolved the permissions report concern.

Thanks for the help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.