It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Workitem Delete and the data warehouse

Jackie Albert (1.6k14947) | asked Apr 24 '12, 10:32 a.m.
How is the new workitem delete function handled by the data warehouse for Insight or RRDI? It seems to physically delete the record from RTC, so how is this then reflected later into the data warehouse so the data is accurately cleaned up?

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Apr 25 '12, 4:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I would not assume that the datawarehouse will loose the historical data it had collected. I would assume the work items deleted would just not show up in new data that is collected. If you deleted several work items, I would assume to see a drop in the total count in the trend data after the next run of the data collection jobs.

If you delete build results that have failed, the historical data should also stay in the data warehouse. Just because something is not there any longer should not impact the history. At least this would be what I would expect.

permanent link
Jackie Albert (1.6k14947) | answered Apr 25 '12, 9:10 a.m.
I would not assume that the datawarehouse will loose the historical data it had collected. I would assume the work items deleted would just not show up in new data that is collected. If you deleted several work items, I would assume to see a drop in the total count in the trend data after the next run of the data collection jobs.

If you delete build results that have failed, the historical data should also stay in the data warehouse. Just because something is not there any longer should not impact the history. At least this would be what I would expect.

Yes, I agree that the data would be deleted out of the ODS, but not the DW. However it seems like we'd end up with some orphan records in the warehouse that show up in the reports as active (issoftdeleted = 0) even though they're not valid any more, which seems like a problem.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Apr 25 '12, 10:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In this case, I would not hesitate to create a PMR or a work item. If they are really deleted, I would expect them to be deleted and vanish as current data, but there might be design reasons for this, I would not be aware of.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.