It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Custom Lifecycle Policies

Ben Fortuna (5035) | asked Mar 26 '12, 1:23 a.m.
Hi,

I would like to gain some insight into how custom extensions work. I currently have three policy governors (for the purposes of logical separation), however currently they are all contained in a single JAR.

If I load the three governors into custom extensions (the same JAR three times, with different governor class), and then attempt to modify one of those extensions, it doesn't appear to pick up the changes.

I suspect the problem is that all extensions share the same classloader, so will not be guaranteed to load classes from the JAR file associated with the relevant governor. Is there a recommended/required approach to dealing with multiple custom policy governors?

regards,
ben

2 answers

permanent link
Ben Fortuna (5035) | answered Mar 26 '12, 2:34 a.m.
Sorry I forgot to mention this is with RAM 7.5.0.2.

Also, if I change the name of the policy governor (but the class name is the same), when I modify the custom extension the new name is not populated. So either the name is being cached from when the original JAR was loaded, or RAM isn't picking up the new policy governor.

I have tried this test with a new governor class that isn't in any of the other extension JARs, so it doesn't seem to be a classloader issue. Can anyone confirm whether the policy governor name is cached from the first load of a custom extension, or should I expect the name to change after loading the new JAR?

Many thanks.

reagrds,
ben

permanent link
Ben Fortuna (5035) | answered Mar 26 '12, 2:59 a.m.
Just to answer my own question, it looks like the name is cached from the first time the extension is loaded. I assume this is because it is the name of the asset created for the extension, and any update via the 'modify' function will just replace the JAR artifact associated with the asset.

I can confirm the JAR was updated by exporting the custom extension.

regards,
ben

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.