It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Max 100 results?

Martin Gompertz (48611) | asked Mar 08 '12, 8:02 p.m.
Hi,

Using REST IScmRestService2/HistoryPlus or IScmRichClientRestService/ItemHistory asking for changes on a specific file in a specific workspace/component, I only ever get 100 results, max. I also get 100 results by default in the Eclipse client, and the web client.

Is there a way to make these services return more? Is it a bug that I get only 100?

I see the web client uses an oslc-scm/changeSet type of path if "searching" for change sets, and while showing only 25 hits at a time, can surpass the 100 limit. I also see the Eclipse client has a "show all in repository" button to allow the 100 limit to be surpassed (I assume it's using the "search" type of query). But in both of these cases there is a *significant* wait for the data to be returned. I'm talking 30+ seconds, although I didn't time it. Either of these methods is therefore difficult for the team to use for looking at changes previous to the first 100.

Best regards, thanks in advance.

Comments
Muzammil Shareef commented Nov 11 '14, 12:54 a.m.

Hi Martin Gompertz,

Im a new bie here, could you please help me by posting the REST Url for retrieving the list of changesets.
Thanks in advanceĀ 

10 answers

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Mar 09 '12, 12:16 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In the first case (IScmRestService2/HistoryPlus), it looks like there is a parameter "n" that can be set to the number of entries you would like returned. In the later case (IScmRichClientRestService/ItemHistory), the parameter is named "desiredPageSize".

I should mention that neither of these are official API so use at your own risk. I will say the later (IScmRichClientRestService/ItemHistory) is less likely to change as it needs to support older clients but the former is for the web UI can is not subject to the backwards compatibility requirement.

permanent link
Martin Gompertz (48611) | answered Mar 14 '12, 6:41 a.m.
In the first case (IScmRestService2/HistoryPlus), it looks like there is a parameter "n" that can be set to the number of entries you would like returned. In the later case (IScmRichClientRestService/ItemHistory), the parameter is named "desiredPageSize".

Thanks Michael, I tried both of the above, using 150 as a sensible alternative to 100. I still get precisely 100 results.

I also get precisely 100 results when looking at "History" on a file using the proper web browser interface to RTC. I see the web browser interface is using HistoryPlus.

It looks like the restriction is server side. Should I be raising this with local admins as a bug, or asking for more than 100 results via a new Requirement?

I should mention that neither of these are official API so use at your own risk. I will say the later (IScmRichClientRestService/ItemHistory) is less likely to change as it needs to support older clients but the former is for the web UI can is not subject to the backwards compatibility requirement.

I would appreciate any links you have to what is "supported" REST for Jazz SCM.

And (I may as well ask :) ) is there any way to get SQL-style querying of the server data? I'm experiencing very poor performance when trying to query old changes, especially for the changes older than the 100th. Knowing a little bit about SQL I feel sure we could get better performance if we had access to it.

Thanks again

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Mar 14 '12, 10:10 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Given that neither of the mentioned calls are API, your best bet is to create an enhancement request for API to allow you to get the information you want. You can mention in the request that you tried the existing REST calls and they only gave 100 entries.

In regards to existing REST API, I do not believe there is any. There is no SQL-style querying available either.

permanent link
Martin Gompertz (48611) | answered Mar 22 '12, 5:56 p.m.
Thanks Michael. Forgetting the REST angle for the moment (because it is not committed API). However, the same "100" limitation is there in the Eclipse client and the web client too. We have many files with more than 100 changes, imported from our old systems.

I did not see this limitation mentioned anywhere (the web and Eclipse clients don't warn you when the data is displayed).

I'm raising this with our server owners, but wanted to see if you knew if the 100 limit was intentional?

Thanks

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 23 '12, 4:33 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please search this forum. One answer can be found here: https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=76568

permanent link
Martin Gompertz (48611) | answered Mar 23 '12, 9:13 a.m.
Please search this forum. One answer can be found here: https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=76568

Thanks for this. I have searched the forum; I couldn't see any answers to my question, though.

The page you linked appears to relate only to searching for work items, and solutions are given in terms of Java application code changes (which is not what I am doing).

My question is about listing History of changes on a file in SCM. The limitation of 100 results I mentioned at first was in the REST services I was using. But it seems the same limitation is there in the outward interfaces (GUI, web).

Thanks again for the reply.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 23 '12, 9:27 a.m.
Sorry Martin,

I missed that you asked about SCM.

In the Eclipse client you can click the top right triangle (view menu) in the history view and change the preference from showing only 100 to your number. I have no stream with more than 100 changes to a file, but you should try that. I changed it to 4 and only got 4 entries. So there is hope.

permanent link
Martin Gompertz (48611) | answered Mar 23 '12, 10:44 a.m.
In the Eclipse client you can click the top right triangle (view menu) in the history view and change the preference from showing only 100 to your number.

Hi Ralph, that is exactly what I needed. Thank you! (Still not sure about the web interface, but I'm happy for now that I can do what I need in Eclipse.. I just need to work more with the server guys to see if we can get the performance improved.)

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Mar 23 '12, 10:49 a.m.
Glad we could help, if you find a solution, please post it here. Should you not find anything and want to go ahead and create a work item for the Web UI, please post it here too.

permanent link
Stephane Leroy (1.4k149) | answered Feb 05 '14, 8:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Related questions & answers could be found here:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/140852/paged-oslc-query-result-limited-to-100/

-Stephane

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.