It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC on i question

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | asked Feb 16 '12, 9:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
retagged Jun 24 '12, 9:37 a.m. by Arne Bister (2.6k12832)
Hi

I am learning more about how RTC interacts with i Series development, using tools like Rational Developer for Power (RDp).

i systems seem to use libraries to store complied code, and then different libraries to store different versions, or move between development/test/production areas (apologies if the terminology is wrong - this is all new to me).

To move code between libraries, is this an RTC or RDp function, or something else?

If anyone has suggestions on where to learn more about the development lifecycle on i - that would be gratefully received as well.

thanks

anthony

3 answers

permanent link
Kevin Doyle (60425) | answered Feb 16 '12, 5:12 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Anthony,

We usually call it promotion when going between different levels (dev, test, prod, etc). However some consider promotion to just be source code and others include it to be the compiled objects.

In RTC 3.0.1 if you wanted to do promotion you had to manually promote the source between streams and then run a build based on the stream you just promoted the source to. There was no way to copy the contents from one library to another. You could do that manually with RDp however. In RTC 4.0 we are introducing Promotion capabilities that were available for z/OS to IBM i that includes promoting the source and compiled objects. However copying of compiled objects only works on the same machine as the machine that ran the build. If you want to take the outputs of a build and move them to another machine you want to use the Deployment capabilities that will package up the contents you want and deploy them to another machine.

You can find an End to End Scenario for RTC 3.0.1 on IBM i on our wiki page here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RTCpHome

Scroll down to the RTC 3.0 Enterprise Extensions - End to End Tutorial (IBMi focus) section. However this does not include Promotion. You can find some information about Promotion on IBM i in the docs here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/c_prom_rtci.html

Hi

I am learning more about how RTC interacts with i Series development, using tools like Rational Developer for Power (RDp).

i systems seem to use libraries to store complied code, and then different libraries to store different versions, or move between development/test/production areas (apologies if the terminology is wrong - this is all new to me).

To move code between libraries, is this an RTC or RDp function, or something else?

If anyone has suggestions on where to learn more about the development lifecycle on i - that would be gratefully received as well.

thanks

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 16 '12, 6:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Anthony,

We usually call it promotion when going between different levels (dev, test, prod, etc). However some consider promotion to just be source code and others include it to be the compiled objects.

In RTC 3.0.1 if you wanted to do promotion you had to manually promote the source between streams and then run a build based on the stream you just promoted the source to. There was no way to copy the contents from one library to another. You could do that manually with RDp however. In RTC 4.0 we are introducing Promotion capabilities that were available for z/OS to IBM i that includes promoting the source and compiled objects. However copying of compiled objects only works on the same machine as the machine that ran the build. If you want to take the outputs of a build and move them to another machine you want to use the Deployment capabilities that will package up the contents you want and deploy them to another machine.

You can find an End to End Scenario for RTC 3.0.1 on IBM i on our wiki page here: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RTCpHome

Scroll down to the RTC 3.0 Enterprise Extensions - End to End Tutorial (IBMi focus) section. However this does not include Promotion. You can find some information about Promotion on IBM i in the docs here: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/c_prom_rtci.html

Hi

thanks

anthony

Thanks Kevin - will follow up on the links you suggest. Your explanation is helpful too.

anthony

permanent link
jeff tickner (51710) | answered Oct 02 '12, 6:08 p.m.
 The Arcad Power Pack for RTC has a Deliver module that will allow you to promote between libraries and also between systems or LPARs. This promotion process is scripted so it can be customized and it also automatically manages data in files, as well as existing attributes like triggers and constraints.
It also has a Observer module that provides cross reference info about objects from within the iProject context menu.
The Build module is very similar to the dependency build Rational added in RTC 4.0 except that it uses it's own cross reference information instead of the scanners and it retrieves ILE links on it's own from the objects instead of needing existing build scripts to scan.

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/common/ssi/ecm/en/rab14064usen/RAB14064USEN.PDF

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.