It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Any way to create custom record types?

Andrew Stevens (1482629) | asked Feb 06 '12, 7:01 a.m.
Hi,

Given that the User records can't be customised to add extra information, I've been asked to look into creating a new "Resource" type of work item to hold this information, linked to a user ID. This will be used for reporting e.g. Time Spent of work items in a release versus user type and location of the user that implemented them.

Although I can do this, it's not really an item of work as such and e.g. shouldn't appear as a Planned Item on any plans, for example. So using a custom work item type doesn't really feel right to me, and I'm therefore wondering if there's any way to configure some other custom record type in the project process configuration? Or is the only way to do this via plugins, e.g. like described in the Introducing a new Jazz Artifact Type API wiki page?

Andy.

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 06 '12, 8:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Andrew,

RTC, to my knowledge, does not yet have anything comparable to CQ record types that could be configured in the Process Configuration. There is a basic time tracking option that can be configured in the planning section. It is possible to use Attribute Customization to provide some basic default value sets.

RTC has mechanisms for time and effort tracking that you could potentially use e.g. together with reporting to gather the information.
You could use a custom "tracking" work item type. To keep it out of the planning component leave the planned for out, play with the timeline structure or have a different timeline.

If possible at all I would avoid to creating own elements as described in the link in your mail. I think the effort is too high and I am not sure about version upgrades.

What do you want to achieve?

permanent link
Andrew Stevens (1482629) | answered Feb 08 '12, 9:33 p.m.
If possible at all I would avoid to creating own elements as described in the link in your mail. I think the effort is too high and I am not sure about version upgrades.

What do you want to achieve?

A full-blown resource management, budgetting, forecasting and accounting system... At least, that's the requirements we've been given, not sure how close (or user-friendly) we'll get. The existing time tracking functionality will do for the data for actual time spent, but we need to report that against project initiatives' resource baselines for multiple locations, and forecasts of resource allocations.

One solution would be a separate resource system that integrates with RTC to pull in the time data from there (via REST interface?), but that's too big an undertaking. Instead, we've been told to "do it with work items". I just wondered if there was some other record type we could use for non-work items...

Andy.

permanent link
Paul Wellman (71119) | answered Oct 08 '13, 9:07 a.m.
 Hi Andy,
Were you ever able to accomplish creating a work item to model some of these processes? I have stumbled onto a similar need for a project and wanted to create a custom "time tracking" attribute.

I was just curious if you were able to figure it out. 

Thanks. 

Paul

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.