It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How is "avaiable work" calculated in the load bar?

Maren Nelson (611611) | asked Jul 24 '08, 10:21 p.m.
I am trying to plan a 4-week sprint (5-day work week) with resources allocated 100% and no vacation/etc days.

Looking at the load bar for each resource, it says there are 176 "available hours". I am surprised as I expected it to say 160 hours (40 hours/wk for 4 weeks).

If I look at the sprint that is AFTER that sprint (4 weeks, same 100% allocated resources), the "available hours" now says 336.

I realize at this point that I am "today" exactly 2 working days from starting the next 4-week sprint, so it looks like the "available hours" is being calculated as today (8 hrs), tomorrow (8 hrs) + the next 4 weeks... which conveniently equals 176 hours. Interestingly enough, the 336 value is exactly equal to 4 wks + 4 wks + 2 days.

Since I set the sprint start/end dates, I expect the "available hours" to reflect that time window, not any days outside of it (which make planning the work that will fit into just those 4 weeks VERY difficult).

Please help me understand what's up or what I have done wrong.

2 answers

permanent link
Maren Nelson (611611) | answered Jul 25 '08, 8:46 a.m.
I fixed the original post... should have said 176 hours but had said 156 hours.

I rechecked the "available hours" again this morning and it now says 168, so indeed it is calculating available time from the current day even though the sprint hasn't started yet.

This makes it very difficult to plan ahead for a sprint that is not starting immediately.

permanent link
Johannes Rieken (1.2k1) | answered Jul 28 '08, 2:49 a.m.
This makes it very difficult to plan ahead for a sprint that is not
starting immediately.

You are right. There is a bug in the computation of the remaining work
time. It always uses 'now' even though an iteration didn't start yet.
The following bug tracks this issue:
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/59273

--
Cheers, Johannes
Agile Planning Team

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.