It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrade from Version 2.0.0.1 to V3.0

Alan D (15631311) | asked Jan 31 '12, 8:31 a.m.
Hi

We are kicking off a project to upgrade to V3 from 2001. THere may be a few probalems ahead though beyond the migration of components.

We have an aggressive timeline for this installation, but the tool is used by two other development teams. I don't want to get into the conflicting dynamics, but it would appear that we will move to V3.0 while the others stay on 2.0.0.1

This will be on the same LAN, all teams have >10 users, will there be any licencing issues with this appraoch, and indeed, will it work? We will hopefully have V3 on seperate boxes (I assume that trying to have 3 & 2 Jazz Servers hosted on the same box is laughable - would the same be true for the Jazz DB servers for 3 & 2, though I guess this is just a URL setting?).

It's not ideal, I agree the best approach would be all at the same time, but this isn't looking feasable.

Advice / recommendations please?

Thanks

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 01 '12, 3:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Alan,

in general please go to http://jazz.net/library there are numerous documents with respect to this upgrade. Reading them and the documentation is critical for this upgrade.

The library also contains articles on performance and scalability that you should look into. Running tools and database on one server is possible but typically done only in smaller deployments. It is always possible to move the database to a different server. This just needs a change to the connection string after the database was moved.

Since it is not possible to split projects off into a new server, I assume you have multiple RTC servers already. A server and all projects it hosts needs to be migrated together.

Going to 3.x you will introduce a new server JTS that can potentially be shared by several CCM applications (RTC). The idea is to centralize user and license management as well as serve as a central dashboard and reporting server.

As mentioned in the library e.g. the Upgrade Workshop this has implications. Since the URL's for Servers can not yet be changed please consider to provide the JTS with a logical host name that is different from the one used by CCM (RTC) servers. this allows to move it to a different machine later. The help also mentions proxies to disconnect your application URL's from machine names.

You can upgrade one RTC Server to 3.0.x introducing the JTS using it with the first RTC migrated. You can upgrade other RTC servers to the shared JTS later. this would be the default. Reporting with RRDI requires a shared JTS. Rporting across several JTS requires Insight.

Licensing: The new JTS requires new license files uploaded. What license types are you using? I assume if you use floating, you would have to upload them to the new JTS. I haven't tried to use a 3.0.1 JTS as license Server for 2.x servers.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.