It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing a Redundant Console - Need Help

John Bobinyec (683432) | asked Jan 26 '12, 4:10 p.m.
Systems: Windows XP Professional
Database: DB2

We used the XL Software site to install the following on a single machine:

BF Console 7.1.2
DB2 Server
License Server

Now I'm trying to install another BF console on another machine.
Using the same site, I have installed:

BF Console 7.1.3
DB2 Client

During the installation I had to point the new BF Console to the DB2 server, and the License server. There were tests performed as part of the installation, and they passed.

I can use my browser to get to the new BF Console. I get the logon page. When I try to logon, an email is sent to me reporting this error:

Error connecting to license interface.

The logon is unsuccessful.

I need some assistance, please.

Thanks,
John Bobinyec

3 answers

permanent link
David Brauneis (50611) | answered Jan 26 '12, 5:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Systems: Windows XP Professional
Database: DB2

We used the XL Software site to install the following on a single machine:

BF Console 7.1.2
DB2 Server
License Server

Now I'm trying to install another BF console on another machine.
Using the same site, I have installed:

BF Console 7.1.3
DB2 Client

During the installation I had to point the new BF Console to the DB2 server, and the License server. There were tests performed as part of the installation, and they passed.

I can use my browser to get to the new BF Console. I get the logon page. When I try to logon, an email is sent to me reporting this error:

Error connecting to license interface.

The logon is unsuccessful.

I need some assistance, please.

Thanks,
John Bobinyec

John,

One of the things in your procedure that give me pause is the fact that you are using 2 different version of Build Forge (7.1.2 and 7.1.3) and there might have been some database schema updates that could be effecting this. I would suggest that you attempt this using the redundant consoles at the exact same version of Build Forge first.

permanent link
John Bobinyec (683432) | answered Jan 26 '12, 7:01 p.m.

John,

One of the things in your procedure that give me pause is the fact that you are using 2 different version of Build Forge (7.1.2 and 7.1.3) and there might have been some database schema updates that could be effecting this. I would suggest that you attempt this using the redundant consoles at the exact same version of Build Forge first.

That's a Catch-22. The reason that I want to install the auxiliary console in the first place is so that I can take the original console off-line and upgrade it to 7.1.3. I was hoping to keep the works in service for the developers while this was going on. If I have to take the system down to do the upgrade, I really don't need the auxiliary console.

Thanks.

John Bobinyec

permanent link
David Brauneis (50611) | answered Jan 27 '12, 11:50 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

John,

That's a Catch-22. The reason that I want to install the auxiliary console in the first place is so that I can take the original console off-line and upgrade it to 7.1.3. I was hoping to keep the works in service for the developers while this was going on. If I have to take the system down to do the upgrade, I really don't need the auxiliary console.

Thanks.

John Bobinyec

I think that the real challenge here is that between 7.1.2.x and 7.1.3.x there were updates to the database schema meaning that both runtime versions could not share a database instance.

I think the process that you would need to do would be:
1. Set up the redundant console for 7.1.3.x
2. Shut down the 7.1.2.x console.
3. Update the DB schema
4. Start the 7.1.3.x console
5. Update the 7.1.2.x console to 7.1.3.x
6. Start the newly updated 7.1.3.x console
7. When ready, shut down the redundant console

It will require a very short outage for the DB schema update to be processed.

The intention of redundant consoles is not to handle that specific usage scenario but rather to handle the case where people wanted to reduce outage times in case of a software/hardware failure on one of the console instances.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.