It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

To deliver change sets to other people's workspace

Natsumi Yokoyama (209387101) | asked Jan 26 '12, 3:03 a.m.
Hi

Is it possible to deliver change sets to other people's workspace?
If it was possible, could you tell me how to do that?

When I set flow target to other people's workspace, I could accept change sets from other repository workspace. But, I could not deliver change sets.

According to the material of "Configuring Projects in IBM Rational Team Concert V3.0", in case of large teams, it is useful to use "A shared repository workspace". This shared repository workspace or stream represents a teams integration workspace.
It sounds like that each member can deliver change sets to the shared repository workspace, owned by other member.

Thank you for your support.

4 answers

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Jan 26 '12, 4:15 a.m.

Is it possible to deliver change sets to other people's workspace?
If it was possible, could you tell me how to do that?

You can deliver to your own workspaces, it might be possible to deliver to others' workspaces, too. The problem is that this will cause the component to "go out of sync", which means you have to reload it in the target workspace. For that reason, you don't want that.

If you only want to exchange changesets without first committing them to a stream, you can do that by setting each other's workspace as flow target. You can also attach changesets to a work item and accept them from there, even without flow target connection.

According to the material of "Configuring Projects in IBM Rational Team Concert V3.0", in case of large teams, it is useful to use "A shared repository workspace". This shared repository workspace or stream represents a teams integration workspace.
It sounds like that each member can deliver change sets to the shared repository workspace, owned by other member.

I think the idea is that this common workspace is only used by a single user. This user doesn't even have to be a human, it could also be an automated build system rather. Otherwise, having a stream as buffer between development versions and stable versions is a good idea. OTOH, each developer's workspace is already such a buffer, if developers take care of not blindly delivering any changeset.

What I have here is two workspaces, where one is only used to test changesets, both those coming from my colleagues via the connected stream and from myself via the other workspace where I actually do the work.

Just my 2cc

Uli

permanent link
Natsumi Yokoyama (209387101) | answered Jan 26 '12, 5:15 a.m.
Thank you for your immediate reply.

You can deliver to your own workspaces, it might be possible to deliver to others' workspaces, too.

I can not deliver change sets to other's workspace. Following message was displayed.
"Problem
Permission denied during "Source Control Operation".
Permission denied. Only the owner of the repository workspace 'xxxx_Dev_wkspc_1' can modify it. Current owner is xxxx and you are logged in as yyyy."

I have confirmed "Operation Behavior" in the process configuration. But I can not find settings about this operation.
Do you know which setting affects this?

Also, information Center says that "Every repository workspace has an owner, and only the owner can make changes in the workspace."
Workspaces and sandboxes
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/c_workspaces.html

It might be impossible to do this.

I think the idea is that this common workspace is only used by a single user.

I agree with your idea completely!

Thanks.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jan 26 '12, 7:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thank you for your immediate reply.

You can deliver to your own workspaces, it might be possible to deliver to others' workspaces, too.

I can not deliver change sets to other's workspace. Following message was displayed.
"Problem
Permission denied during "Source Control Operation".
Permission denied. Only the owner of the repository workspace 'xxxx_Dev_wkspc_1' can modify it. Current owner is xxxx and you are logged in as yyyy."

I have confirmed "Operation Behavior" in the process configuration. But I can not find settings about this operation.
Do you know which setting affects this?

Also, information Center says that "Every repository workspace has an owner, and only the owner can make changes in the workspace."
Workspaces and sandboxes
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/topic/com.ibm.team.scm.doc/topics/c_workspaces.html

It might be impossible to do this.

I think the idea is that this common workspace is only used by a single user.

I agree with your idea completely!

Thanks.

Hi

You have found the correct information - you are getting the error because no one (except you) can do things to your workspace. This also applies to other operations on the repository workspace (no one else can Deliver to your repository workspace - you have to Accept the changes). You are the boss of your workspace :-)

anthony

permanent link
Natsumi Yokoyama (209387101) | answered Jan 26 '12, 8:05 a.m.
Hi, Anthony

Thank you for your answer. I understood its specification.

Natsumi

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.