It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC is a performance nightmare.

John Denstalli (162) | asked Jan 20 '12, 5:11 p.m.
RRC is a performance nightmare. Stef when are you going to stop blowing smoke up peoples butts and finally admit what a crappy tool this really is?

10 answers

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Jan 22 '12, 8:56 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

If you have specific issues you are experiencing please let us know about them and we'll be happy to work with you to get them resolved.

There are many factors that contribute to performance issues and we are continuously working to address them. We are fully aware that there is always room for more improvement.

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Jan 23 '12, 3:04 a.m.
Hi John,

I don't know wheter you are using Tomcat or WebSphere but I highly recommend to use WebSphere. There's a very big difference between app servers performance. And Hardware specification is important too.

I am using RRC with 8 core and 16GB ram with a WebSphere App Server and seems to have no problem.

But I also believe that editing graphical artifacts was much more easier with Rich Client. Activating the RRC Add-On and editing graphical object is slower than RRC 2.x.

permanent link
jean-claude vauthier (22634856) | answered Jan 23 '12, 3:56 a.m.
Working on diagrams and so on, or any complex structure with a web client does not make sens to me.

I believe we need both a web and an heavy client..... it is the same for tests.

Integration between requirements and architecture is also a key point. We want to allocate requirements to systems / subsystems and architectures components and to trace to UML model elements.

We need an integrated environment (requirements/architecture/development). It is not just linking things....it is not just traceability... it is also providing views and tools to do analysis efficiently.

I would be surprised that a full web product could address these needs.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 23 '12, 10:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi John,

I don't know wheter you are using Tomcat or WebSphere but I highly recommend to use WebSphere. There's a very big difference between app servers performance. And Hardware specification is important too.

I am using RRC with 8 core and 16GB ram with a WebSphere App Server and seems to have no problem.

But I also believe that editing graphical artifacts was much more easier with Rich Client. Activating the RRC Add-On and editing graphical object is slower than RRC 2.x.

For those interested in the IBM RRC V3.0.1 server guide here is a link

https://jazz.net/library/article/700

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Jan 23 '12, 10:32 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Working on diagrams and so on, or any complex structure with a web client does not make sens to me.

I believe we need both a web and an heavy client..... it is the same for tests.

Integration between requirements and architecture is also a key point. We want to allocate requirements to systems / subsystems and architectures components and to trace to UML model elements.

We need an integrated environment (requirements/architecture/development). It is not just linking things....it is not just traceability... it is also providing views and tools to do analysis efficiently.

I would be surprised that a full web product could address these needs.

Agreed, there are times where for some projects both a web and rich client are needed.

https://jazz.net/projects/rational-doors/

Rational DOORS Next Generation will build on the heritage of Rational DOORS and extend the technology base of Rational Requirements Composer (web client and server) and Rational DOORS 9 (rich client).

https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2011/12/16/rational-doors-next-generation-beta-1-is-now-available-for-download/

permanent link
Davyd Norris (20221014) | answered Feb 15 '12, 1:44 a.m.
RRC is a performance nightmare. Stef when are you going to stop blowing smoke up peoples butts and finally admit what a crappy tool this really is?

As others have mentioned, it would be great if you could be a little less emotive and a lot more specific in detailing your performance issues :-)

Having said that, I have found that nearly all of my clients who are just starting out and are having noticeable performance issues with any of the Jazz tools are using IE and are being bitten by the well known IE JavaScript engine problems documented elsewhere, which include horrible performance and memory leaks.

If possible, could you try your RRC environment using both Firefox and IE to see if the problems are browser related or server related - that would be a good first step.

permanent link
Brian Ronan (211010) | answered Feb 15 '12, 4:20 p.m.

As others have mentioned, it would be great if you could be a little less emotive and a lot more specific in detailing your performance issues :-)

Having said that, I have found that nearly all of my clients who are just starting out and are having noticeable performance issues with any of the Jazz tools are using IE and are being bitten by the well known IE JavaScript engine problems documented elsewhere, which include horrible performance and memory leaks.

If possible, could you try your RRC environment using both Firefox and IE to see if the problems are browser related or server related - that would be a good first step.

I was told that RRC was more stable in IE...sadly, than in Firefox or Chrome. Due to the unstable support of the graphic editors in the others.

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Feb 17 '12, 12:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I was told that RRC was more stable in IE...sadly, than in Firefox or Chrome. Due to the unstable support of the graphic editors in the others.

In RRC V3.0.1 IE8 is better than IE7, with the graphic editors, in both performance and stability.

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RRCBrowserAddOns#4_7_Performance_in_IE7_is_sluggi

Now personally I find FF 3.6.x to have better performance and less problems than IE8. FF also supports drag and drop of multiple files.

permanent link
Brian Ronan (211010) | answered Feb 17 '12, 1:11 p.m.

In RRC V3.0.1 IE8 is better than IE7, with the graphic editors, in both performance and stability.

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RRCBrowserAddOns#4_7_Performance_in_IE7_is_sluggi

Now personally I find FF 3.6.x to have better performance and less problems than IE8. FF also supports drag and drop of multiple files.

Is FireFox 10.0 supported?

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Feb 17 '12, 3:46 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Is FireFox 10.0 supported?

FF 10 is not yet officially supported. FF 10 ESR will be supported for the 4.0 release and we are working to try and add support for it in the upcoming 3.0.1.3 release, so stay tuned.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.