It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent changeset association to completed Work Items

David Dulling (13731212) | asked Dec 01 '11, 11:58 a.m.
Hi

I'm trialling RTC 3.01 (and Microsoft's Team Foundation Server). Coming from a Rational ClearCase / ClearQuest environment, it is relatively easy to prevent people checking in changes against ClearQuest 'work items' that have reached a certain lifecycle state since, for example, it's not logical to allow further changes on a work item that has had a formal review or is closed. Another exanple is where perhaps the work item has not yet been approved.

The thing is, I can't find a similar mechanism to physically prevent the same issue in RTC work items. I seem to be allowed to associate a changeset even though the work item is flagged as 'Done'.

I'm hoping somebody can point me to something I haven't read yet :)

Thanks

7 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Dec 01 '11, 12:42 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is something in the works to deliver against approved work items. See https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/milestones/4.0M5?p=news

Currently available is a "Restrict associating to closed work items" precondition. You configer that in the process configuration>team configuration>operational behavior in one of the source control deliver server or Save change Set Links sections.

For other conditions, you would have to create a precondition extension yourself.

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Dec 02 '11, 5:29 p.m.
Hi, Ralph and thanks for your reply. I've now found the precondition you directed me to and have tried it out. It doesn't seem to be working for me (at least, it still allows me to associate changesets to a Defect in the Resolved state which I believe is 'closed'). I'm sure it something I'm not doing right so I'll keep at it.

Reading the link you sent it looks like RTC will just keep getting better and better. TFS is certainly nowhere near as good....

Cheers

Dave

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Dec 03 '11, 3:29 a.m.
Dave,

there is an article about operational behavior and the rules that apply in the library.

Basically you need to make sure to pick the roles that the behavior is supposed to apply to e.g. everyone and you have to specify that behavior for the team area that owns the object e.g. the stream. If you do it wrong, it won't trigger.

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Dec 07 '11, 3:49 a.m.
Hi, again

Just for information, I managed to get it to work in the end but strangely only after I took myself out of the Jazzadmin group.

Thanks again

Dave

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Dec 07 '11, 4:10 a.m.
That is odd. As admin you are typically bound to the same access rules as any other user. You can change your role etc. but you should be treated as any other user.

permanent link
David Dulling (13731212) | answered Dec 07 '11, 6:49 a.m.
I take that back. I've now added myself back into the JazzAdmin group and the precondition is still firing

Working as designed ..

Thanks

Dave

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Dec 07 '11, 7:05 a.m.
Hi David,

great that it now works for you!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.