It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

FLEXlm license for RTC?

Gary Dang (59338955) | asked Jul 14 '08, 10:04 a.m.
I think RTC is currently using an activation kit to manage licenses. What's the future direction? FLEXlm or Activation kit? Thanks.

9 answers

permanent link
Jeff Ong (14113947) | answered Jul 14 '08, 7:53 p.m.
Better yet, it would be nice to present the user with the option of either using FLEXlm or Activation kit.

permanent link
Matt Lavin (2.7k2) | answered Jul 15 '08, 3:34 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The current Jazz licensing scheme uses something like an activation kit, but it does not use LUM (which is something that some people assume when they hear 'activation kit'.)

There have been discussions about whether to adopt FLEXlm for floating license support, but I don't think that FLEXlm is a requirement right now.

We are currently discussing the requirements for supporting a concept of 'floating licenses' and if there is a feature of FLEXlm that you miss, or would like to see, please share it so that we can consider it in our design.

permanent link
Gary Dang (59338955) | answered Jul 15 '08, 5:03 p.m.
FLEXlm generates the lmgrd.log file which could be used (though in a painful way to read thru the log file using a script) to track down which users and how many users had checked out licenses in any time period. Will this new licensing mechanism provide an easier way for license usage reporting? Thanks.

permanent link
Matt Lavin (2.7k2) | answered Jul 16 '08, 8:08 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
We have discussed the desire to track license usage. You mention that it is possible to figure out how many licenses were used during a specific time period. Do you ever look into the past, or just ask "how many licenses have I used recently?"

permanent link
Aaron Cohen (8207851) | answered Jul 16 '08, 11:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
gdang wrote:
FLEXlm generates the lmgrd.log file which could be used (though in a
painful way to read thru the log file using a script) to track down
which users and how many users had checked out licenses in any time
period. Will this new licensing mechanism provide an easier way for
license usage reporting? Thanks.

I had a similar request for usage metrics, I added your comments to the
enhancement I submitted which is Enhancement 58620.

permanent link
Gary Dang (59338955) | answered Jul 16 '08, 12:23 p.m.
Thank you, all. I would like to see both - 1) able to list all users who currently have licenses checked out, and 2) able to report how many users and who had consumed licenses in any specified time period. Both 1) and 2) should also lust what licenses being checked out (e,g. Rational Suite, ClearQuest, etc. in FLEXlm). Thanks.

permanent link
Simon Eickel (1.1k75457) | answered Aug 24 '12, 4:54 a.m.
I would be glad to see FlexLM license mechanism as well.
We're using FlexLM for nearly all our software products using in our company and so we do have one webapplication from FlexLM where we can monitor all of them.

Would be nice if this would be possible in future.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Aug 24 '12, 5:07 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Simon, if you want FLEXlm, you should create a work item. There is none so far (you can search work items using the search in jazz.net) which probably shows that there is not a lot of desire to get FLEXlm supported.

permanent link
Canberk Akduygu (99237371) | answered Aug 24 '12, 8:14 a.m.
I believe FlexLM would be much more reliable for floating license . While we add license file to the server, we shouldn't write the number manuallly. It's open to be exploited.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Aug 24 '12, 8:36 a.m. | edited Aug 24 '12, 8:36 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have been around some time and FlexLM setup and operations at customers has been a huge source of problems. I am glad we don't have it any longer. I would like to have more insight into the license usage though. Which in turn might open another can of worms with worker councils.

Canberk Akduygu commented Aug 24 '12, 8:48 a.m.

I also had so many problems with the customers while using FlexLM but as I said, using jar files for adding license to the server is exploitable. There's no control of how many license the customer purchases and adds.

Also floating license logging might be enabled on the advanced properties by an admin user and those logs might be investigated for some inquiries. It might be a possible workaround.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.