It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to read the value of an attribute of a workitem with Plain Java API?

Denes Elo (1529) | asked Aug 10 '17, 8:33 a.m.
edited Aug 10 '17, 8:57 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.0k33645)

The workitem has some attributes: Type, Tags, Task Completion, Severity, Status... I need from these the value of Status (smallstring) . I get the identifier of the Status it is internalState.

workItem = copy.getWorkItem();

com.ibm.team.workitem.common.model.IAttribute status = workItemClient
                    .findAttribute(workItem.getProjectArea(),
                            "internalState", null);

System.out.print(workItem.getValue(status));

I don't know why I get this Exception:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Attempting to get unset feature: Creator at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.model.impl.WorkItemImpl.getCreator(WorkItemImpl.java:1362) at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.model.impl.WorkItemImpl.eGet(WorkItemImpl.java:2338) at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eGet(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1021) at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eGet(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1013) at org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.BasicEObjectImpl.eGet(BasicEObjectImpl.java:1008) at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.PropertyUtil.get(PropertyUtil.java:105) at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.PropertyUtil.get(PropertyUtil.java:109) at com.ibm.team.workitem.common.internal.model.impl.WorkItemImpl.getValue(WorkItemImpl.java:2897) at Sample.analyzeItem(Sample.java:146) at Sample.analyzeReference(Sample.java:103) at Sample.run(Sample.java:91) at Sample.main(Sample.java:38)

The exception thrown when i call the getValue() function. If somebody know the problem please show some example code!

Thanks your help!!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ulf Arne Bister (1.3k413) | answered Aug 10 '17, 10:22 a.m.

Hi,

please find sample code and considerations at https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/01/02/working-with-work-item-attributes/

I assume your work item was resolved using a profile that does not include the attribute. Compare this entry:
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/21082/problem-in-retrieving-creator-and-creation-date-attributes

If that is not solving the issue you are possibly getting a work item which does not have the attribute set yet. Please consider using the

if (workItem.hasCustomAttribute(customString)){
    Object value = workItem.getValue(customString);
    if (value instanceof String) {
        String attributeValue = (String) value;
        // do something with the value
    }
}
code fragment from the article.

If this answers your question please mark the answer as accepted.

- Arne

Denes Elo selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Denes Elo commented Aug 11 '17, 2:44 a.m.

Thanks! I opened the SMALL_PROFILE, now I open with FULL_PROFILE and everything works fine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.