It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Import work items to an iteration in another timeline

Pablo Gomes Ludermir (111) | asked Oct 24 '11, 4:17 p.m.
In my RTC setup I have 4 (likely to grow) parallel timelines because the project area has multiple teams collaborating.

I am trying to import work items from a CSV file and assign the "planned for" field to the appropriate iteration/timeline. All iteration names are unique per timeline/iteration combination.

However, what happens in my setup is that an iteration is created under the current iteration in the main development timeline, instead of chosing the right one.

Is it possible to assign a different timeline at the time of import?

ps: I am using RTC 3.0.1. Importing using the Eclipse client.

6 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Oct 25 '11, 11:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Pablo,

this should be possible, I think, when providing the Filed Against and the Planned for data.

However, I tried to export that data using 3.0.1 and import again to verify and the observation was that changes I did to a work item in terms of Filed against and planned for did not sow up in the export.

I am currently unsure why and what the rules should be. If I did not do something completely wrong I would have expected the export to show the correct data and the import too. I have to check that again tomorrow and will look into current work items also.

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Nov 01 '11, 8:10 a.m.
Hi,

I had the same problem importing data I believe.
I export a few work items from the project using Export Data with tab as separator (keeping the default settings)
I added a couple of items in the spreadsheet and import back using the same import settings (tab separator)

What I noticed was that even if i have only 1 timeline with 5 iterations called Sprint 1/Sprint 2/...Sprint 5, a new iteration is created in the project when I import data. I wonder if RTC need more information in the spreadsheet, it is apparently not enough putting "Sprint 5" as a value in the Planned for column. The import functionality doesn't recognize this iteration already exists...Or am I missing something?

Any idea appreciated :)
Claire

Hi Pablo,

this should be possible, I think, when providing the Filed Against and the Planned for data.

However, I tried to export that data using 3.0.1 and import again to verify and the observation was that changes I did to a work item in terms of Filed against and planned for did not sow up in the export.

I am currently unsure why and what the rules should be. If I did not do something completely wrong I would have expected the export to show the correct data and the import too. I have to check that again tomorrow and will look into current work items also.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 01 '11, 8:28 a.m.
I would consider writing a work item, if you can't fine one that already exists for this.

permanent link
Vidhya Prakash (853133) | answered Nov 21 '11, 6:48 a.m.
I would consider writing a work item, if you can't fine one that already exists for this.

Hi,

Was there any WI created for this if so can you paste the WI number, as I'm also facing this issue

permanent link
Claire De Bie (11656) | answered Nov 28 '11, 11:25 a.m.

Hi,

Was there any WI created for this if so can you paste the WI number, as I'm also facing this issue

Submitted a defect today on Jazz.net as I couldn't find any work item related to this observation. ID 186356 if the link below doesn't take you directly there.
https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=186356

Many thanks
Claire

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 28 '11, 11:29 a.m.
Thanks Claire!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.