It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Develop on windows and build on unix

Yehiel Glass (25548986) | asked Oct 04 '11, 4:17 a.m.
Hi,
I need your help:
Our development is on windows stations, but the build is on AIX.
If the sandbox is on the PC, than the AIX could not read the files.
One solution is to locate the sandbox on the NetApp, but it makes the performance real slow - so we don't like it.
Another solution is to create another unix workspace for every developer - we don't want to do it because our workspace contains a lot of files.
Do you have another solution (maybe with the build process) ?

Thanks,
Yehiel

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Oct 04 '11, 7:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Yehiel,

I don't understand your statement about the sandbox. Do you want to load it somewhere manually?

The way I think it is intended to be used is as follows. The build engine, if you configure the jazz scm portion of the build definition accordingly, loads the stream or repository workspace it is using to a folder on the machine it is running on. This is the approach that you should use too.

You would configure your build script to use folders relative to its own location. You can also have the build script under version control, which means the script is in a project and automatically loaded to a relative location to the folder used as build workspace sandbox location.

So if the build engine runs on AIX it would load to AIX, if another one runs on some other OS, it would load there.

The load process actually also allows private builds this way and it makes sure the latest changes delivered to the stream are accepted if you choose the option in the build definition.

permanent link
Yehiel Glass (25548986) | answered Oct 06 '11, 9:29 a.m.
Thanks for your answer.

1. Does it say that if I have 3 developers, we need 3 workspaces on the build machine (for the load process) ? or you don't need workspace on the build machine at all ?

Thanks again,
Yehiel

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Oct 06 '11, 9:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for your answer.

1. Does it say that if I have 3 developers, we need 3 workspaces on the build machine (for the load process) ? or you don't need workspace on the build machine at all ?

Thanks again,
Yehiel
You would likely have a workspace for each build definition, owned by the build's user account.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 06 '11, 5:53 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You need to distinguish a "repository workspace" (which is an object
that lives in the RTC server) from a "sandbox" (which is a tree of files
in the file system on a client machine).

For development, you always want to have each developer have their own
personal workspace, and they load a sandbox from that personal workspace
onto their client host.

For building, you can have a single workspace for a given build
definition, but each concurrent build for that build definition would
need its own sandbox, so that the appropriate configuration of the
repository workspace is being loaded, and build results don't collide.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 10/6/2011 9:38 AM, yehiel wrote:
Thanks for your answer.

1. Does it say that if I have 3 developers, we need 3 workspaces on
the build machine (for the load process) ? or you don't need
workspace on the build machine at all ?

Thanks again,
Yehiel

permanent link
Sagar shah (821617) | answered Aug 27 '12, 11:45 a.m.
How do you create a workspace on unix box for the build account ?  are there any unix command or unix eclipse client ? how the workspace will keep on updating wit the latest changes can it be automated or needs to be performed manually

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.