It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRC 3.0.1 Collection of Collections?

Paul W Jones (2144) | asked Sep 22 '11, 8:59 a.m.
We're using collections to associate requirements artifacts with a given team or test corner, but it would be handy to have a collection that is a collection on collections, sort of like this:

Big Collection --+--> Regular collection 1 ---> Requirement 1
| Requirement 2
|
'--> Regular collection 2 ---> Requirement 3
Requirement 4

Is that possible? When I go into Big Collection and try and have it point at a Regular Collection, the options seem to be greyed out.

3 answers

permanent link
Chris Horning (2711) | answered Sep 28 '11, 11:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We're using collections to associate requirements artifacts with a given team or test corner, but it would be handy to have a collection that is a collection on collections, sort of like this:

Big Collection --+--> Regular collection 1 ---> Requirement 1
| Requirement 2
|
'--> Regular collection 2 ---> Requirement 3
Requirement 4

Is that possible? When I go into Big Collection and try and have it point at a Regular Collection, the options seem to be greyed out.

Hi Paul
There is an item that would fit a similar use case here https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/44252
3.0.1 does not currently allow collections of collections.

permanent link
Paul W Jones (2144) | answered Oct 01 '11, 6:27 a.m.
OK, so Collections of Collections is not currently possible. Unfortunate.

We're kind of new to this, so let me go back to the basics of what we were trying to do, i.e., how in RRC do we best associate or come up with a view where we can see all the requirements associated with a given department or team, while at the same time being able to composite all of the requirements up for a multi-team area?

Suggestions?

Comments
Carole Schwarz commented Sep 18 '13, 11:42 a.m.

Create a collection of everything, then use filters for the sub-areas/teams. 

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Oct 01 '11, 9:17 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
...how in RRC do we best associate or come up with a view where we can see all the requirements associated with a given department or team, while at the same time being able to composite all of the requirements up for a multi-team area?

There are five primary grouping mechanisms in RRC V3.0.1:

1. Collections, which include individual artifacts. A collection has a unique name and URL

2. Folders (similar to folders / directories on your local hard drive)

3. Tags

4. Attributes

5. Review and approval artifacts. Can include any set of artifacts (but not other review artifacts). Can optionally include specific revisions of artifacts (formal review). Also has a unique name and URL.

You can create saved filters that include various combinations of (2) - (4) above (including which attributes to show in the columns).

Optionally, from any set of artifacts in a view, you can create a collection. Artifacts can be in more than one collection.

I believe it's also possible to embed a collection into a textual artifact, and include that artifact in another collection. It's unlikely to meet your needs (it's a bit unwieldy), but I mention it here for the sake of completeness.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.