It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change remote path for component

Lachlan Hillman (36131) | asked Sep 21 '11, 9:12 p.m.
Hi,

I've created a component, which has been given the remote path of /. I don't want this, and I'd like to change the remote path to something else.

How can this be done?

Thanks,
Lachlan Hillman.

P.S. I've seen this thread and I'm still not sure what to do:
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11234

3 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 22 '11, 6:21 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Currently, the remote path of the root directory of a component is
always "/.". Why do you want it to be something other than that?
For example, if you want to nest the root directory of one component
below a directory in another component, you would be interested in work
item 148034 "Allow a version-controlled file/folder in one component to
have its parent in another component".

Cheers,
Geoff

On 9/21/2011 9:23 PM, lachlanh wrote:
Hi,

I've created a component, which has been given the remote path if /. I
don't want this, and I'd like to change the remote path to something
else.

How can this be done?

Thanks,
Lachlan Hillman.

P.S. I've seen this thread and I'm still not sure what to do:
https://jazz.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11234

permanent link
Lachlan Hillman (36131) | answered Sep 25 '11, 8:36 p.m.
The solution was to create a new project on the local filesystem within RTC, and then deliver it as a new component. This will create the component with the remote path given as the top level directory of the project.

permanent link
Chris Fagyal (462109) | answered Apr 23 '13, 8:17 a.m.
I'd like to know if there is a solution other than recreating the component.  Generally you want (in my opinion) components with a remote path of /<component name> so that when you load the component it loads all of the contents into a folder with the component name.  If the root path is '/', then it loads all of the contents into /, and thus if you have multiple components all with '/' as a root path, it tries to load all components on top of each other.  This obviously is bad.  The other issue that is created with a remote path of '/' is that any command line SCM does not work, especially with the JBE.   The jazz build engine will not load a component from the repository that has a remote path of '/'

The default behavior when creating components if one does so correctly is to have the remote path be /<component name>.  This happens when one creates and eclipse project, populates it, does team->share project->jazz scm-> and then creates a new component in a workspace and associates the eclipse project with that new component.  I don't know what sequence of events my developers have discovered which incorrectly creates components with a remote path of '/' but it'd be nice to be able to fix this without recreating the component, especially in the case where the issue is found months later and thus the component has significant amounts of history.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.