It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Flow target in a stream

Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | asked Sep 21 '11, 6:01 a.m.
What does flow target in a stream signifies? I have a Stream A which has flow target of Stream B. I suppose if I deliver anything on Stream A, it should also get delivered to Stream B (or few selected components ) should get delivered but it doesn't happen this way. Please explain in detail.

11 answers

permanent link
Ulrich Eckhardt (23612223) | answered Sep 21 '11, 8:31 a.m.
What does flow target in a stream signifies?

A flow target is something that you push changesets to. It can be a stream or a repository workspace.

I have a Stream A which has flow target of Stream B. I suppose if I deliver anything on Stream A, it should also get delivered to Stream B (or few selected components ) should get delivered but it doesn't happen this way. Please explain in detail.

If you deliver to a stream, it doesn't automatically deliver to a stream that it is connected to. The remedy for your case is to create a repository workspace which has both streams as flow targets. You then accept from stream A into the repository workspace and deliver to stream B. This also makes it possible to verify that your changes actually work.

Effectively, that would mean that making one stream the flow target of another is useless, which makes me doubt my understanding, so apply the usual bit of caution instead of blindly believing me. :wink:

Cheers!

Uli

permanent link
David Van Herzele (10121) | answered Sep 21 '11, 8:34 a.m.
Effectively, that would mean that making one stream the flow target of another is useless, which makes me doubt my understanding, so apply the usual bit of caution instead of blindly believing me. :wink:

I believe that from RTC 3.0.1 on you are able to push changes directly from a stream to another. This however will only work for non conflicting changes.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 21 '11, 8:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
What does flow target in a stream signifies? I have a Stream A which has flow target of Stream B. I suppose if I deliver anything on Stream A, it should also get delivered to Stream B (or few selected components ) should get delivered but it doesn't happen this way. Please explain in detail.
It shows intent on where the changes in the stream will eventually flow to. In 3.0.1, it is also used to flow changes stream to stream.

How to show streams in Pending Changes - https://jazz.net/library/article/126#Streams_ShowPendingChanges

permanent link
Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | answered Sep 21 '11, 9:38 a.m.
Tim, Could you please brief a bit on how to achieve this. I selected the stream A(having flow target as Stream B) and went on pending changes view,the pending changes view still shows the repository workspace linked with Stream A and doesn't show the stream A to stream B link.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 21 '11, 10:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Tim, Could you please brief a bit on how to achieve this. I selected the stream A(having flow target as Stream B) and went on pending changes view,the pending changes view still shows the repository workspace linked with Stream A and doesn't show the stream A to stream B link.

From the FAQ:
Note. You cannot change the flow target of a stream from the Pending Changes view. You must use the stream editor to add flow entries and set the default/current one.

Edit the stream's flow target in the stream editor. When showing a stream in Pending Changes, it only shows the default, current flow target.

You still have to explicitly deliver your changes to both streams. There is no automatic deliver to multiple streams. It needs a user to do this in case there are conflicts.

permanent link
Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | answered Sep 22 '11, 8:58 a.m.
Stream editor if not mistaken, is right click and open the stream.Editing the flow target in stream editor doesn't show the stream to stream flow. can you link a screen-shot please.

permanent link
Christophe Cornu (47123) | answered Sep 22 '11, 9:56 a.m.

permanent link
Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | answered Sep 28 '11, 5:12 a.m.
Thanks for the reply but I couldn't see the option of Pending Changes through right click stream->Show (refering to fig 7). Does it not work on RTC 3. we have RTC 3.o ifix1 server and RTC 3 client.I see 3.0.1 as the basis of this article. Please reply if there are any pr-requisite for this.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 28 '11, 9:19 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for the reply but I couldn't see the option of Pending Changes through right click stream->Show (refering to fig 7). Does it not work on RTC 3. we have RTC 3.o ifix1 server and RTC 3 client.I see 3.0.1 as the basis of this article. Please reply if there are any pr-requisite for this.
It is a feature introduced in 3.0.1.

permanent link
Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | answered Sep 29 '11, 5:44 a.m.
Does this mean having 3.0.1 would support the stream to stream flow ? If yes, its really a great stuff as project migrating from CC to RTC always prefer to have an integration stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.